Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

grizzly caliber

Old 10-06-2006, 07:21 PM

Default RE: grizzly caliber

I wouldn't hunt polar bears with a 222 either...My point is that with shot placement any animal can be anchored down and that the 30-06 has more than enough energy and power to bust through both shoulders and exit a grizzly at 350 yrds...Thats quite impressive for a cartridge thats not a magnum and been around for a long long time..I believe it is a better choice than a non magnum 7mm when hunting bears or moose size game...

I believe most guides would have paper plate targets set up at various yards out to 300 yrds and the guided hunter would have to shoot at them free hand to see where his range is for a kill...If you can hit a paper plate at 300yrds free hand,I am sure he would not hesitate for you to shoot an animal at a bit further range when you use a rest..
Old 10-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe most guides would have paper plate targets set up at various yards out to 300 yrds and the guided hunter would have to shoot at them free hand to see where his range is for a kill...If you can hit a paper plate at 300yrds free hand,I am sure he would not hesitate for you to shoot an animal at a bit further range when you use a rest..
You believe wrong.Having actually been on several guided hunts including grizzly,I can tell you that the situation is quite different.I was asked to shoot my guns as were the other hunters in camp on every hunt,but almost always at 100 yards andnever farther than 200 yards.Hitting a target while relaxed is one thing,but when a big game animal appears,most hunters get excited,and their shooting accuracy often suffers dramatically.If a grizzly is wounded,tracking it into cover is a far different situation that tracking a deer or an elk.The guide must place himself at great risk to trail a wounded grizzly into cover and a result,he reduces the odds of having to do so by limiting the range that he will let the hunter shoot at dangerous game like grizzly.Most guides that I have met wouldnot let a hunter shoot past 200 yards at a grizzly and some wanted the shot much closer.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

.340 Wby. Mag. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting paper plates is a far cry from hunting grizzlys. Most hunters can hit a target at 100 yards when relaxed, but when it comes time toshoot atan animal it's a different story.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:58 AM

I am goanna be more relaxed when a grizzly is 250 to 300yrds out from me than if he is a 100 yrds or under....The closer the animal the more nervous one is..This new generation of hunters and guns think in the way, I got to have the biggest gun on the market to kill an animal that a 30-30 could do..It's your choice,but don't be saying a 30-06 is to small for hunting very large game animals excpecially grizzlies..I would feel very comfortable with a 220g bullet fired out of a 30-06 for grizzly as I would any 300 or larger cartridge....It will get the job done just as good...Must be lack of confidence in ones shooting skills to put down the under magnum 30-06...The larger magnums are to make up for errors on shot placement or just got an ego problem and have to have the largest gun to proveto be a man.. At a hundred yrds 220g piece of lead can allmost bust thru completlly a 7/16 steel rail road platethat hold the track down... Now,don't tell me or anyone else it is not a good grizzly rifle choice.. No I have not hunted grizzly,but I know the power of a 30-06 and it is more than enough gun for a big dangerous game animals..
Old 10-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

The closer the animal the more nervous one is..
The closer that the target is,the better the chance of perfect shot placement.

I would feel very comfortable with a 220g bullet fired out of a 30-06 for grizzly as I would any 300 or larger cartridge....It will get the job done just as good...Must be lack of confidence in ones shooting skills to put down the under magnum 30-06...The larger magnums are to make up for errors on shot placement or just got an ego problem and have to have the largest gun to proveto be a man..
Lets take your 220gr bullet fired out of a 30-06.At 300 yards(50 yards shorter than you were talking) the remaining energy is just over 1600ft lbs.
Lets compare that to my 300ultramag shooting the 180gr tsx.At 300 yards the remaining energy is 3200 ftlbs,twice as much.

Which do you think has the better chance of breaking both shoulders cleanly?

Now lets look at wind drift at 300 yards,with only a 10mph wind.

Your 220grbullet out of your 30-06 will drift over 11".

My180 gr bullet of mine will drift over 4"

Therefore any error in wind estimation will result in a much larger error with the 30-06.So who has the best chance of perfect bullet placement?Or are you going to tell us that you can judge wind perfectly?

Now before any other reader complains about my comparision,I will point out that his choice of bullets was the 220gr bullet and he is the one talking about 350 yards shots at grizzlies with a 30-06.I therefore used his bullet and his range.

As for my own choice of bullets,I shoot the 180gr tsx out of my 300ultramags for all of my larger game hunting.This bullet retains over 90% of its weight even when striking heavy bone compared to 60% to 70% for the 220gr partition.As such my choice of bullets is more than suitable for use on any game animal in north america.

No I have not hunted grizzly
That is very evident byyouwanting to shoot grizzly at 350 yards with a 30-06 shooting a 220gr bullet.
On the other hand,I have hunted and killed grizzly.I have also hunted many times in grizzly country and personally know several grizzly guides with whom I have discussed grizzly hunting with.

The 30-06 will certainly kill a grizzly but attempting 350 yard shots at grizzly is very poor judgement.And for 350 yard shooting at any game with a 30-06,the 220gr bullet is not one of the better choices.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: grizzly caliber

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.