Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

grizzly caliber

Old 09-24-2006, 05:38 AM

Default RE: grizzly caliber

NOTE.. I recommended the 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag.
Nice matching of the toolsto the job at hand.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

Most of the Grizzly bears on this planet were killed long before the 338 and 300 Magnums were even in use. Calibers like the 30-06, 270, 30-40 Krag,300 Savage 44-40,45-70, 45-90 and yes the 30-30 and 303 Brit, not to mention muzzle loaders and shotguns.

Yep they were....
But it certainly took more than one shot to dump these things probably more in the lines of 5 plus shots at them......
And the fact remains lots of humans were seriously injured and killed
attempting to due so.
Probably due toweekbullet construction at the time more so than cal.
The exception being the 30-30 just plain old week Grizz cal period.......
Just for example....In an Outdoor Life Issue that I raed.........
One 1000 pound, 40 year old Grizz that was shot in Colorado back in the 1890-1900's was shot more than 100 times...
This particular Grizzly was resposible for killing 3 humans and and hundreds of livestock...
Yeah people have gotten away with it,one can get away with it for years,but just like Grizzly Man found out,same with the CROC HUNTER
no matter how experieced you are,it take only one time one time only,and it will cost you your life.....
As much as they appreciated nature in they're own way, I think
they'd rather be living than dead....
I know they're family and friends would rather have itthat way.....

That being said. Those are Ideal choices on your Grizzly Bear recomendations James 375H&H and 416 Rem..
I agree with that as well.......
Old 09-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

IMHO a grizzly cartridge starts with the .338 Winchester magnum and goes up from there.
Me also!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

As someone that has seen many grizzly bears in the wild and that has actually killed one,I am curious as to just how large most people think the average grizzly is.It seems that a great many people that I have talked to,have seen pictures of the 8 to 10 foot coastal bears and assume that all grizzlies are 8 feet and larger and weigh 800lbs or more.It might surprise some people to know that an average inland grizzly averages in the 6 ft to 7 ft range and weighs 300lbs to 600lbs.Yes I have seen a few inland bears that did make 8 feet,but they are by far the minority.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

In 1986 I went on a grizzle hunt to British Columbia. The outfittersminimum was 7mm Mag.but recommended 375 H&H. I went with the 375 H&H.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Right on SJ. Grizzlies are not as large on average as they once were. Many of the big ones have already been shot. 600 lb is a fairly big grizzly. Another thing that is a misconception is that although a Grzzly or even a big black bear can make short work of a humane, thats not the norm. They will almost always try to escape rather than attack a humane. Depending on the teraine, many Grizzly are shot at 100 yards plus and good shot placement will usually do the job quickly. For many years people have used whatever they had to take grizzly many have been taken by ranchers and farmers with the old 30-30 or whatever they had for deer rifles. Now days we have access to about any caliber we choose to use. We should pick the right tool.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

Right on SJ. Grizzlies are not as large on average as they once were. Many of the big ones have already been shot. 600 lb is a fairly big grizzly. Another thing that is a misconception is that although a Grzzly or even a big black bear can make short work of a humane, thats not the norm. They will almost always try to escape rather than attack a humane. Depending on the teraine, many Grizzly are shot at 100 yards plus and good shot placement will usually do the job quickly. For many years people have used whatever they had to take grizzly many have been taken by ranchers and farmers with the old 30-30 or whatever they had for deer rifles. Now days we have access to about any caliber we choose to use. We should pick the right tool.

Even if that were true, I still wouldn't take the chance, go with a .416 or .338 Lapua (Which is alot bigger than .338 Win. Mag. Ifyoudon't Believe me, check out the Ruger catalog, they have caliber sizes all lined up on the first page of the MKII rifles.)
Old 09-25-2006, 09:13 AM

True, inland grizzlies are quite a bit smaller than their costal brethren. But, what they give up in size they more than make up for with attitude. A 6 foot grizzly is about twice the size of a 6 foot blackie. Ask true bear hunters and they will tell you that the smaller inland grizzlies are tougher meaner, and more tenacious than Costal Brownies.The smallest weapon I would recommend for Griz is the 300 win mag with 200 gr. pills. I personally would take my 338 win with 225 g. partitions. A 7mag would not be my choice. A 375 HH would do quite nicely. OBTW the 375 HH is no worse on recoil than the 338 win. and certainly no worse than the Ultra mags.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:18 AM

I serisouly dout I will ever hunt bears or other dangerous game. However I value my life enough to use enough gun for the job if I were to hunt dangerous game.Although smaller calibers like the 30-06 or 270 have probably havekilled grizzly bears under ideal circumstances. It would be my luck they would just piss the bear off. It would run into the willows and then I'd have a huge problem on my hands. Anyone want to follow up on a wounded grizzly in the willows toteing along thier 270 or 30-06 with deer loads? Didn't think so!Although common sense isn't all that common these days, any one hunting dangerous game had better have enough sense to use larger caliber rifle and be able to shoot that gun well.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I hunt elk and moose in grizzly country,I carry a 300ultramag loaded with the 180gr tsx.I have no doubts whatsoever that this combination is more thanadequate for killing any grizzly that walks.The grizzly that I did kill,was killed with a 338x8mmremmag when it charged me.At 40 yards the bullet stopped the bear in it's tracks when it struck the bear in the throat and travelled lengthwise through the bear.That being said,I actually feel more confident carrying the 300ultramag,as the tsx bullet offers even better performance on game than the partition that I used to kill the grizzly.

Quick Reply: grizzly caliber

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.