Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Do you eat what you kill?

Old 10-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you eat what you kill?

I have been fortunate to have taken a variety of Big Game & have eaten all except TWO. Black Bears of mine were delicious.
Two animals I did not eat were Sheep-I tried it & thought it was horrible BUT I did give them to a couple families that loved them-they made tacos or tortillas from the meat so none went to waste. I have also not hunted certain animals because I did not think I would eat the meat.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hell I lick the Bone!!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 AM

Hunters MUST condemn those that don't eat what they kill because it tarnishes all of us and the actions of a small minority could ultimately put all of our hunting privileges at risk.

Let's face it, hunting suffers a serious image problem among a large percentage of the public. Hunting isn't a god-given right and our legislators are capable of passing some incredibly stupid laws on the basis of Disney inspired sentiments - the recent passage of a bill banning the slaughter of horses for foreign markets is just one prime example. The probability of our privileges being curtailed are only increased as the number of hunters decreases. We have to care what about what non-hunters think.

Hunting doesn't have to have the image problem it has. I live in NYC, where I encounter about 10 vegetarians/vegans for every hunter. Whenever I find out that someone is a vegetarian, I tell them I hunt and engage them in a discussion about the ethics of killing and eating an animal that has spent its life living according to its own free will as a part of a natural ecosystem, and contrast that against how meat is now raised in the U.S. IN EVERY SINGLE CASE I've managed to convince them that eating animals that I have killed in the wild is more ethical than buying it in the grocery store, and most of the time they say that if they started eating meat again, they'd only eat wild game.

We need to start addressing our image problem, and it starts by condemning those that don't eat what they kill, participate in canned hunts, etc. Hunting isn't a god-given right, it is a privilege granted to us by the public and we mustn't forget this.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:53 AM
emo

I refused to eat the skunk I killed with my truck.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:36 PM

I do eat all that I 'harvest'. When my freezer is full, I will then give the meat to our church pantry.I would try bear meat, however, I think that I would draw the line at baboons

Regards,

BWJ
Old 10-19-2006, 10:24 PM

Most definitely. I intend on eating every animal that I intentionally harvest ( forgive me I am not eating road kill). I have had on occassion where some of it has gotten freezer burned or I had an emergency one time and let a turkey thaw way too long I didn't eat those. That is why I quit hunting squirrels because i never got around to eating them and they got freezer burnt.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guilty of killing a few things I didnt eat, specially in my pellet gun toting days. But later in my years I just cant seem to kill it if I aint gonna eat it. Even the damn black birds in my back yard that are eating all the dog food. LOL
If woodchucks need to bekept incheck then keep them in check, but dont do it on a tv show hooting and hollering and smacking high fives after youblast one to smitherines. Appreiciate the life you took and show it some respect.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:45 AM

Will hunt for food. Most of the meat in my house comes from the animals I harvest. Love Elk, Deer, Antelope, and small game including Jackrabbits. Have eaten coon, beaver, and turtle. I shot a big 500lb black bear last year and couldn't get to it until the next morning. I think because of this the meat picked up a bad smell, none the less I have gone through most of the 200lbs of meat. Once it was cooked it tasted pretty good, the best was the Bear Brats I had made. Yummy.

This year I hope to harvest my first Mt. Lion and plan on eating all of it. I tried crow once, wouldn't recommend it.

Happy Harvesting!