Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Do you eat what you kill?

Old 09-23-2006, 10:07 AM

Default RE: Do you eat what you kill?

I love elk and moose, eat them babies up in no time at all. As for deer well i get 3 tags but only eat my doe usually making her up into sausage and jerky. I give my 2 bucks to my neighbor who loves deer meat so it works out pretty good. As for bearI have only shot a few as more of a nusiance or crop protection killing andreturned the carcass to the forest. I know if i had to eat everything I killed i wouldn't have shot many of the animals. I do not take an animals life for fun, behind everything i kill there is a purpose even if that purpose is not meat.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I eat what I shoot. I really like Black Bear meat. I do not eat any of the cats, I have never eaten a Grizzly, mainly because the outfitters had use for the meat and I don't like the hassle of handling meat out of real remote areas. Probably 50 percent of out meat each year comes from hunting and fishing.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:37 AM
DM

I believe in Alaska that you are required to recover the meat of black bear, but not brown/grizzly.
This isn't true... When it comes to bears, Alaska gives you a choise, either take the meat OR take the hide no matter if it's a brown or a blk..

Some blk. bears are good to eat others aren't... it depends on what "they" have been eating... I eat them if their good and also have always taken the hides too... Same with big bears... Some are good, some aren't...

I won'tshoot a moose any longer, after many years of shooting them and eating the meat, i no longer care for the meat... My first choise is deer, second caribou.... BTW, if there's room ialways take those hides too...

DM
Old 09-28-2006, 02:11 PM

Mt. Lion is one of the best game meats you can have. I shot mine and just kept the backstraps thinging it would probably be gross. When I got the nerve up to eat it I could not believe how good it tasted. I have been kicking myself ever since for not keeping the whole animal.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

chiefks..thats whya hunterinvented the freezer..
Old 10-09-2006, 12:46 PM

There seems to be plenty of game out there that tastes great. . .Not sure I understand the kill only for trophy thing. . . .

My boys have been taught you kill it you eat it. . . .
Old 10-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

My neighbour ate his grizzly all up, mostly made into saucage. I didn't eat either of mine and my friends don't eat grizzly either.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:22 PM

I choose not to eat bear or mountain lion, so I'll never hunt them. I'll also never go on safari for the same reason - I'm not flying across the Atlantic with a cooler full of water buffalo, so I'm sure not going to kill the thing.

I won't look down on others for doing that, but for those reasons I'm stuck hunting North America for herbivores. I'm definitely OK with that.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:34 PM

I tend to eat what I kill but then again thegame where I livehappens to beedible,
On the other hand, in a more global sense, I'm not all hung up about it either.

I'll go where I go, and
I'll pursue what I pursue and the "eating thing" will fall where it may.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:50 PM

So far I have eaten everything I have ever killed.

Well, except that doeI hit with my car a while back, because our state won't let you pick up road kill.

Oh, and a bunch of ground squirrels back when I was hunting them for the local ranchers.

And a few skunks, woodpeckers, rattlesnakes (though they taste like chicken), various birds, frogs, muskrats, minks, coyotes, badgers, beavers, bobcats and hedgehogs..

If you really want to sample meat from different animals, look for a wild game feed in your area. I've sampled a few on the list above at these shindigs, along with some other interesting dishes.

Nothing compares to Rocky Mountain Oysters though...yummy yummy!

Quick Reply: Do you eat what you kill?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.