Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Looking for elk hunt suggestions.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:15 AM

Default Looking for elk hunt suggestions.

I am interested in hearing comments/suggestions from anyone having experience elk hunting. I have always wanted to go elk hunting, butI don't know that much about the different states and have always put off taking the first step towards a hunt. If I am going to spend the money I want to go where the real trophys are at. I have read great things about Arizona and New Mexico. I understand Arizona has a draw system that is very difficult to obtain a tag through, but I figure if that is the best place to go then I might as well start applying and build up some bonus points. I am also interested in finding an outfitter who really knows bow hunting and I understand that as with most things in life you get what you pay for! Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Looking for elk hunt suggestions.

I was in your boat, too. About this time last year, I decided I wanted to finally try my hand at elk, but I knew I'd have a tough time with draws. I then proceeded to procrastinate 'til the 2006 entry deadline had passed in WY, where my Dad always used to go.

About that time, I receivedmy pheasant from the North Dakota taxidermist that I used, so I figured I'd ask him what I should do. He recommended trying British Columbia, since there weren't any deadlines, and there was a 6 point rule: to harvest an elk, it must have 6 points or more on at least one side. The taxidermist recommended several outfitters, and I chose one that seemed to have their stuff together.

I'm heading out 10/1, with tags for elk, mulie, & wolf. I'm looking forward to logging on afterward to brag of my success!

I think ShatoDavis & BCMulieHunter could give you more particulars about BC hunting. The pricing seemed to be in line with what I was expecting for ahunt in the 'States, and it beats the hell out of applying for decades to build-up points.

Good Luck!

Folically Challenged
Old 08-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best advice I can give you is try to do like you are doing, checking this forum and others for advice, see if you can get some friends or co-workers advice on a good outfitter to try, and then research it as much as you can. The internet is so perfect for this I just wish I had it when I started hunting. Should be able to find out a lot about different places to go and what is involved. Just be ready to drop $5k plus for a guided hunt for a big elk, probably more depending on what state. And the time to start researching (for 2007) is right now and all winter.

My buddies and I are lucky to live in a state with elk hunting. Still, it's not that great here so we're going to Idaho in 2 weeks for any bull. Can't wait! Would love to try Colorado some year, and of course NM and AZ would be premium draw states, as well as Utah. Montana is good too but you can't hunt there without a guide very easily (most land is private).
Old 09-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

So are you viewing this as a "once in a lifetime" activity? Why not think of it as something you do every year, or every other year, or occasionally? If you think of it like this, then you can just apply for a reasonably available permit somewhere and go elk hunting. Maybe you won't get the super duper trophy head, but you will be learning about elk hunting and building skills that will stand you in good stead when you go on the high dollar trophy hunt?

If it really is a "once in a lifetime" activity, what are the probabilities something will go wrong on that one sole opportunity? A car accident lays you up, a big forest fire screws up your hunting area that you are drawn for, some event at home that prevents you from following through, etc? Even on the best hunts with the best outfitters success is far from 100%. Better to have some redundancy built into your plans . . . that is, hunting elk more than once in your life.

The super duper deluxe trophy elk hunt has a high price tag. This prices it into the "once in a lifetime" hunt category for those of modest means. If you change the scope of the hunt the price might go down and make it more repeatable, something other than "once in a lifetime." Give it some thought.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

I would check into Cabela's as an option. Every year they send me a catalog with hunts from all over the world and for every animal you can think of.
These guides and outfitters have been checked out. You have a chioce of area's from which to hunt.
Zip over to there site and request a free catalog.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/inthefield/trips/pages/trips-home-content.jsp?cm_re=home0901*right*oa
Here's another guy you might try. Just sent me this cancellation hunt info.
Good Luck
New Mexico Elk Hunt #84 [/align]

Butch took a bull here last fall with a bow, then Joan took a bull 2 weeks later with her muzzleloader. Clients were virtually 100% on shooting opportunity as well, with success in the 85% or better class. This outfitter is a personal favorite and offers as easy an elk hunt as we know of physically. He just got 4 landowner tags he did not expect so we are discounting them. Hunts are 5 full days, guiding 2x1.
One Archery Hunt, Now $3150. 9/9 - 13, 2006. Three muzzleloader hunts, Now $3995, 10/7 - 11, 2006. OR, three rifle hunts, Now $3995, after 11/4, 2006. Price includes: Landowner tag, guide, lodging, meals, trophy prep and transport in the field. Not included: NM license($470), tips. They do have cold storage but not meat processing. Can be done locally. Two hour drive from Albuquerque.

email: [email protected] [/align]phone: 307-637-5495 [/align]web: http://www.worldwide-hunts.com [/align]
Old 09-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good to see you again there Montana Bob--I love that avatar. Where are some pictures of the Elk from your window this year??????
Old 09-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Billy good to see ya.
Damn work has kept me away from the site for awhile.
It's dryer than a popcorn fart around here and keeping them holed up till dark. I am going in in the morning with the 12 year old nefew try and fill this Muley doe tag and look for some Elk. Well ok it's a glorified scouting session.
Saw Muley69 in town a week or so ago he's all jazzed got himself some new hunting goodies and he should be out for the opener. I'll have the camera and post some pics if I find anything. Was out last week and kept running into things like this. Didn't draw a tag again this year.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good one--Hope he's not on the wrong side of the fence.