Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MT Rattlers - A Worry

Old 08-26-2006, 04:57 PM

Default MT Rattlers - A Worry

Should I be concerened about rattlers (or the like) the 3rd week of October. If yes, other than keeping a eye out, what is the best defense - chaps?

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/reviews/detail/73
Old 08-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MT Rattlers - A Worry

That's gettin fairly late in the year there and the nights will be cold. If you would happen tosee one at that time, it would probably be during a very warm "period" and in the middle of the day tryin to gain some heat. Probably be a snake that's movin pretty slow as well and not something I'd really even give a second thought to.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:30 PM

One year in mt. I started gathering them on a sept. elk hunt to eat ,by mid sept. they must have went to den at that time I had 4 in a 5gallon bucked not anough to eat so I released 2 and put 2 in a tupperware bowl with wet paper towols to keep them quite ,buryed the bowlin my check in luggage flew back to Pa. they live for 10 and 12 years in captivity. prarrie rattlers are rather small compared to are timpers .This was around 1991 pre TSA I wouldn't try this today .good luck this year.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

so I released 2 and put 2 in a tupperware bowl with wet paper towols to keep them quite ,buryed the bowlin my check in luggage flew back to Pa.
Snakes on a Plane!!! Snakes on a Plane!!! For real, just like the movie.

Except for real.

We were going to eat one last year, but then my partner killed an elk and we decided that would be better.