Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear hunting: I need tips

Old 08-20-2006, 08:27 AM

Default Bear hunting: I need tips

I'm goingblack bear hunting with my dads friend up in Canada next week, and I've never hunted anything like a black bear before. I know how to keep safe, I just need help hunting them. Could anyone help me out???
Old 08-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bear hunting: I need tips

I've never been bear hunting but i've always heard the number one thing to have is a friend that runs slower than you.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:12 PM

most black bear are more afraid of you than you are of them. just make sure of your shot and you'll be fine. if you are stand hunting watch your scent, and wind dirrection. most times they will aproach from down wind
Old 08-20-2006, 05:46 PM

Along with scent control they pick up on motion so be very still while on stand
Old 08-20-2006, 06:28 PM

Keep alert because 9 out of 10 times they will make no sound at all coming in,i'm assuming your hunting over bait. Just work at keeping yourself calm, and making a good shot because the first time you have a good bear nearby the nerves will kick in. You should have a great time, where in Canada you hunting.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:56 PM

the only bad time with when you've finished hunting for the day and you you havent "seen" and bears. Good luck walking out deer hunter.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Are You going on a guided hunt??......or a Self hunt. Where are you going?? Up here Canada is a big place!!

Here in alberta you may "bait" bear. That is placing food in barrels or on the ground for them to find and eat. The Idae behind this is the will smell the scent from the food and come from miles away to eat it. that being said Fall bears are out foraging on berries Carron and grasses. There may be enough feed for the not to bother with the baits.

We find that better hunting is to find a few remote farm fields that are planted in Oats. If you find oats chances are you will find bears!!

I dont know what else you need help with?....Shot placement??.....Just like bow hunting..right in behind the shoulder. Some shoot for the shoulders sayn it stopsm in the tracks.

If you take a bear give him 40 minutes to expire. If he's close you will know when he is done by the moan.

enjoy your hunt and dont shoot the first bear you see!!.......Unless its got a head the size of a big pumpkin!!!

AL