Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Pack frame recommendations please

Old 08-07-2006, 12:10 AM

Default Pack frame recommendations please

Looking to purchase a pack frame for an elk hunt this fall. I currently own a Cabelas Alaskan, but have been looking at the BullPacs out of Idaho. Will be used primarily for packing elk quarters, not backpacking. Feedback and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks-Dibbz
Old 08-07-2006, 01:31 AM

Default RE: Pack frame recommendations please

Personally, I use a game cart. Like the Cabala's Super Mag Hauler and then put the dual wheel kit on it. Tow guys can load out a whole elk on it.
I have also tied it to my ATV and hauler elk out like that. I like the "one trip" idea.
But if you're in deep& steep, any pack frame is a blessing. My pack frame is one I got from Goodwill. Took off the pack the first day I got it and still don't know where it is.
I've taken elk in places where the best thing to is to just bring a knife and fork! Whew!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 AM

i use an old junky aluminium frame. i put the quarters directly into canvas meat bags after skinned and cut. then tie em down with cotton rope. i've packed out two by myself with it. i take a little xtra rope ta tie the shoulder straps across the chest. if yer alone be carefull lifting the pack on and off.

early
Old 08-07-2006, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

To lug out an elk use an old military surplus frame. Cheap, tuffand I don't care ifI get a little blood/flesh on it.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have purchased a BullPacs frame just this year but have not yet used it. It looks plenty sturdy and up to the intended task.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:37 AM

My suggestion: Strong back and shoulders!

In my experience there isn't much difference between frames when they are loaded with elk quarters. They are all heavy. (not trying to be a smart@ss)
Old 08-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

The alaskan guide frame works nice w/the shelf folded down. You don't like it?
I also have a set of the "human" panniers from Carltons, but have forgotten to take them with me. They look like a paperboys' rig, but on steroids! I have loaded them up pretty heavy during trial runs.
But like someone else said earlier, if in very far/steep, found that any frame/pack/pannier will handle all you can handle and then some.
My best suggestion.......forget a bigger/nicer pack. Get a bigger/nicer friend to help out!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

I like and use a packframe I bought at sportsmans warehouse.It is the Bruin Freighter made by swiss gear.it is 37" x 15" x 10" comes with an orange bag to put your meat bags in and stows away inside the bottom shelf when not in use.Has straps with snapsto cinch and tie down your load real fast.Is heavily padded and comfortable to use.I have had some pretty heavy loads on it and was not too bad.It sells for about $100.00
Elkshed