Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How do you guys do it?

Old 07-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you guys do it?

I find that you get out of it what you put into it. It is way different than deer hunting. I am headed in to the back country at 3:00 a.m. to get ready and get them located. I am still one month now from hunting, but the preperation begins now. I can shoot either sex archery from aug 30th til almost the end of september.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:11 PM

It is way different than deer hunting.
Yes.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:13 PM

Here in Washington you can buy an elk tag every year.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:23 PM

I hunt elk every year. Some years, like this one, I have 2 tags. It isn't like deer hunting at all. I can always go out and find deer. Elk usually requiremore effort. Getting into archery range on a mature bull requires a lot more effort.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

you can get 4 tags in CO if you do it right. 1 archery cow OTC,1 rifle bull OTC, 1 priv land draw leftover, 1 San Luis Valley summer elk hunt tag.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:52 AM

"can you hunt elk like we hunt deer"
As a resident of Wyoming, we can buy an over the counter tag called a general. This is good for Elk in any area trat allows a general tag. Some elk areas are drawing only. Then there are the different type of licenses, but you can look that up on the G&F site.
We can get up to two elk tags. One would be the general or drawing only tag, in addition to that, there are some areas where they issue a Type 6 tag (drawing only) for cow/calf only - NOT "antlerless".
So we can legally take two elk a year if the elk gods are with us.
Harvest success for elk nationally is one in five years. For me, I do a little better than that, but I'm a meat hunter first and trophy second. I think 20% of the hunters harvest 80% of the elk. Some major reasons, they know the area they are hunting. They stay flexible in their location and tactics. They scout their area throughout the spring andsummer. And it doesn't hurtif you canhunt on private land, hunting pressure, or the lack of it, can strongly determine sucess.
I think a lot of a hunters lack of success is lazyness. "Tree stand" mentality doesn't work for elk. You can't sit n a trail or wallow for a week and expect to be successful. Elk just aren't programmed that way. They are movers. Originally plains animals, they are programmed to move. When they get into their "elk trot" you can forget about it. They can go all day and easily cover 20 miles while you are still huffing and puffing to get over that next ridge!
One last thing that I see a lot in both archery and rifle, is dead - untagged Elk. If you shoot, don't quit looking for it. They can go for miles with a hole in them.
I get a little windy when talking about elk. Sorry. Your other ??? was about getting tags every year. Yes, the general tags for residents. Non-residents must apply for an area every year and success rates vary. But consider the "leftover" drawings later in the summer and the Type 6 way to go also. Between all of those options, a guy could expect to get some kind of elk tag every year. And if you don't, there's always Colorado.

Good hunting . . .
Old 08-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Washington has general season you can just buy tags every year. There are a few lucky people that tag out every year but I'm not one of them. We also have special tags that you draw for. These are generally in some of the same areas as the general hunt but good for any bull (OTC tags are spike-only).
Old 08-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Here in BC, we buy over the counter Bull tags. Most areas have a six point minimun and the season runs from Aug 15 through the end of Oct.
We can rifle hunt just about everywhere and this includes through the entire rut.Almost all of BC is public land and the province is bigger than California, Oregon and Idaho put together.
You can usually hunt elk and Bighorn in the south, or elk and Stone sheep in the north. These sheep tags too are over the counter.
Pretty much elk huntin heaven.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt quite a bit with relatives and friends in several states. When I can I get over the counter tags. If not avaiklable I often go as camp cook. In these cases I just go for the time offf and relaxing. I have hunted elk many times with an outfitterin Sask with whom I have hunted for 27 years almost every year. A few years were just fishing and a few for just hunting. Many times for both.