Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana SuperTag Hunting

Old 06-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Montana Super Tag Hunting

I do the supertags.....though only 1 ticket per each and not all....

sure its possible for a rich somebody to fill the pot, but at $5 a pop, tons of guys are applying im sure as its a chance of a lifetime for $5. And then how much are you willing to spend on such a tag? the bighorn is the only one I can see rich guys dropping some serious coin on.....as the other tags can be hunted fairly reasonably in rich guy terms.....but abighorn sheep in alberta can run 20-35k as I've seen.....so dropping $5k may sound like a good idea....but to drop the same on a elk, etc....probably not.

Like someone wrote above all bought 1 ticket.....probably not always the case, I suspect more than half of everyone who enters only buys 1 ticket....

When money becomes less tight maybe I'll buy more than 1 ticket, however like most I don't really ever forsee buying more than a few tickets, also like the lotto I once saw the odds are so stacked that filling the pot really doesn't increase your odds drastically,sure it may increas them 50 fold, but whether its 1 in 100 million or 50 in a 100million, still very bleak....

Old 06-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

PS- I hear ya about not being a fan of auctions/raffles etc...when it gets crazy, but 1 raffle for each specie I think is a good thing, its when they start having 10 acutions for sheep etc.....and raffles etc....that it gets crazy and less of a good thing IMO.

Personally I think there should be no youth hunt sheep tags either, less for a ewe perhaps. Nowadays everythign is about the kids/children, back in the day we were taught to respect are be elders, nowadays we're taught to worship our children, I'm not saying they're not great, and special, but lets put it into perspective and be real about it. I think a man who has applied for 40years and not drawn should have better odds than some kids 1st year applying....

Old 06-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Montana SuperTag Hunting

Just had an idea/new scoring system....

public land only.....

Kinda like B&C has fair chase clause etc...

Would be a cool scoring system/thing I think, so guys who couldnt manage/plant crops etc...completely free ranging wild animals only.....no private land etc...

I have another idea for a scoring system, but just not sure we need more scoring systems.....?

ORIGINAL: IfItRunsHuntIt647

the guy who drew the goat tag was from bozeman, which is where i live. I didn't know that they bought one ticket each, that is good news to me. Being from bozeman and living near the Flying D ranch, which is owned by Ted Turner and has some of the biggest bull elk around, it pisses me off when people get such a good oppertunity to shoot a monster trophy animal just because they have the money to fork out for it. In my opinion, a bull elk should be a well earned trophy paid for by time and work, not a check book.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like someone else mentioned, I'm OK with it since it's a raffle... If someone has thousands of dollars to throw into a tag/hunt, they are probably going to just outrightbuy an auction tag.

Do agree that some of these states have gotten really out of control with the amount ofauction tags they are giving out....
Old 06-24-2008, 09:15 PM

this isnt the first year of the montana supertag