Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

antelope strategies

Old 07-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: antelope strategies

Oh, well heck, forget about blinds and sitting at fence crossings or water. Like was said above, practice your long range shooting, maybe even create a "cheat sheet" that you can tape on your rifle butt, showing the bullet trajectory at long ranges, and practice at the ranges if you plan on shooting at long range! Spot and stalk is the way to go with the rifle!!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Good advice! Have a great hunt and take a lot of photos, we want to see your trophy goatalope.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have read that pronghorn antelope success rates are 90%. Expect to bag your antelope and be prepared to get the meat cooled down quickly. Many advocate skinning the carcass immediately. Others have suggested carrying a couple of bags of ice in an ice chest and stuffing that in the body cavity opened by prompt field dressing. Have a plan ready.

Be prepared to stalk the antelope. Stalking takes many forms. One form it took for me was to walk quickly up a dry creek bed, crouched over, knees bent, to stay below the bank of the creek and out of site of the antelope. This was surprisingly physically challenging and difficult. At one point a jack rabbit exploded out of the grass right next to me and scared the heck out of me, intent as I was on approaching the antelope.

You don't need to be out hunting at the crack of dawn. The pronghorn will still be out there, standing around in the open, at 10 AM. This was wisdom given to me by a former guide whose property I paid a modest trespass fee to hunt on. His point was that all you were going to do walking around out there early, before good light, was to scare away the antelope.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

new member. just saw your note re first time pronghorn hunt. the string has good advice. My son and I drew southeast montana, also our first hunt. Anyone have experience in that neck of the woods (prairie)? Heading out for 3 days scouting in early Sept. Any insights would be appreciated. we're CT boys.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:30 PM

As a former guide and avid speedsheep hunter, the two most importand things is to: 1.)Bring a gun that you have practiced long shots with. 200, 300 yards and beyond are not uncommon shots. They are very doable but you need to practice them and know your balistics! Tape a cheat sheet to the but if you need to; "4.5" drop if zero'd at 200 yards shooting 250 yards", etc. Aim at the corner of white hair just above the front legs and you should do fine at most distances.Use some kind of bi-pod or shooting stick when you practice. Shoot your gun when you get there to make sure it's still in.
2.) Bring good optics including a decent rangefinder. No good practicing long shots if you don't know how far your target is.
Worst thing you can do is stay visible and try and stalk them. You'll be chasing goats all day. Locate them, see what direction they seem to be heading, find a low draw or creek channel hopefully parrallel to their travel to get down in and cut your distance without being seen.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

great advice. we'll hit the range w the243 this weekend. when we hunt, just might evenbring my 06 just to have 2 rifles out there.from a guides perspective-- do you think most of the best habitat in MT is tied up in outfitter leases or would securing decentblock mgt land, or even public land due. when I go out in Sept. thought about approaching some landowners-- not sure what I'll run into, what about these trespass fees...? thx.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:12 PM

Here in Wyoming the tag has a landowner coupon and when you bag one on their property, the G&F pays them $13.00. I honestly believe trophy goats can be anywhere. Unlike other big game that are more sensative to hunting pressure, goats live in the wide open and roam at will. They could be anywhere. BUT! They will always be near food and water! And in September, they are in their rut. So the bucks are where the does are. Which is by water and food.
.243 is a great caliber for goats. A 150 grain (or smaller) in the .06 would work too. But the .243 would be at my side.
Water, food, and GIRLS! That's where you go. I doubt a landowner would charge a tresspassong fee. Most of them around here are almost glad to get rid of the pesky little morsels. Again, check with the G&F and see if there is a warden locally you can get in touch with. They should be cooperative, after all, you are a visitor spending visitor dollars in their state.
If I haven't mentioned it, plan on some way to get them skinned and cooled down (not necessarily dry ice, just cooled) right away. In the field even. Bring jugs of water and keep in mind you have to get the meat all the way home. You'll have a ball. Goats are rarely hard to find, but not so easy to harvest. Don't let the fact that they are "standing right by the road" fool you. They have 8 power vision and Cheetah speed! As soon as the truck stops, they are gone. I CAN'T WAIT!!! My archery season opens nest Tuesday!

Good luck . . .
Old 08-12-2006, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

very helpful info. good luck nxt tues. look forward to reading the play by play on yourhunt.I hear wyoming has more goats than people, and their still tough w the stick.I shoot a longbow so goats are likely not in my future w a bow..
Old 08-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I start tuesday for pronghorn. I love to spot an stalk but I also set up a ambush where I use a decoy and call them in. It's a little early in colorado for the rut but the decoy works for an attractant. If you have never called an antelope in you are missing something really neat to watch. They come at you at mach 9 and right before they get to you they screech to a halt pawing and bobbing their head up and down. Its alot of fun. Maritime you can get one with a longbow. Either try the decoy and calling or find you a small waterhole you can set up a blind in that's maybe 25yds across the water. Good Luck
Old 08-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

I would dry the decoy method spot and stalk can work but it depends on the herd size if there is 15 goats in the herd it can be super hard to sneak because of all the warey eyes. sitting at a well used water hole seems to work pretty good.

Quick Reply: antelope strategies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.