Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

dogs attacked by wolves, Idaho

Old 07-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default dogs attacked by wolves, Idaho

Anyone else read about, or hear about this recent wolf attack story? Apparently took place on 5-25-06 near Grangeville, Idaho. Two dogs killed and partially eaten, a third dog barely survived the attack wounds, and two other dogs were saved.
Apparently two guys were trying to tree bears with their dogs, when the wolves attacked!
I've got the whole story, by way of Email, which includes two pics. of one of the mostly eaten dogs, if anyone wants to read more about this.
Sounds like the wolves are getting to the "dangerous" point in that area!!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: dogs attacked by wolves, Idaho

I read about it in another forum and then just received the latest "King's Hunting Illustrated" and the story was in there along with one photo of the guy holding up what was left of one dog. Unfortunately, when the wolves attacked they weren't close enough or had the weapons to stop them. I think you'll find that most people that live amongst them will tell you that they've always been at the dangerous point wherever they reside.

It's a fact of life in North Eastern Minnesota that you don't leave your pets out at night or trouble will come knocking. My sister's friend was out grouse hunting one time and had a wolf come running at him. He waved him arms thinking maybe the wolf just didn't see him or know what he was. The wolf kept running and he figured he was after the dog so he gave him a charge of bird shot. Then on the way out hehad one wolf on each side of him following at a distance. They are predators and since they aren't hunted or purposely trapped, they probably have lost most of their fear of man. One early morning, my brother pulled out of the driveway before first light on his way to work. He glanced down the street and saw what he thought was a husky sitting on a lawn. Upon returning home, he found out it was a wolf that was chewing on the neighbor's poodle. I tend to be pretty careful when I take my springer up there grouse hunting as you just never know. There are alot of wolves up there. I met another guy at a class one time and he claimed he was deer hunting in northern MN and had just started dragging a deer. Got winded and sat on a log only to hear growling. Turned to see two young wolves and bolted for his gun. They knocked him down and tore his coat. He reached the gun and fired a few shots. Said he never bothered reporting it as he didn't want the hassle and was lucky they weren't full grown as it might have been worse.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:33 AM

Default RE: dogs attacked by wolves, Idaho

The problem with being close enough and having the right weapons doesn't mean much. The fellas unfortunately couldn't have done much. Idaho law says you can't do anything about wolves attacking your dogs. You can only shoot one if he is attacking your livestock on private land. I live about an hour north of where this happened in Idaho. This is a major issue and has a bunch of people pizzed off. Wolves are out of controll here and cause more problems than i can address in a year. I figure they were killed off by western settlers for a reason and they should've stayed that way. To he!! with the tree huggers!