Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO GMU's 25/26 ?

Old 07-13-2006, 11:38 AM

Default CO GMU's 25/26 ?

Anyone hunted the Flattops for cow elk, up from the Yampa side? Which season would you seasoned, wise, elk killers select to hunt?

I was out there a couple weeks ago and saw a sizable herd - I quit counting at 100 - north of the Devil's Causway out grazing. I'll be a first timer this fall and I was thinking of getting one of the cow tags that went on sale OTC a few days ago for GMU's 25/26. I may or may not be solo, as my hunting buddy had back surgery a few months ago and might not be in shape to make the trip. If he can't go, my wife says I can't go; she don't know that I'm going whether he go's or not. My mind's made up.

FWIW - I climbed Longs Peak while I was out in CO and then went up to the Flattops for a few days and hiked the Devil's Causway.Compared toLong's the Flattops were a breeze.

-Bugs
Old 07-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: CO GMU's 25/26 ?

Bugs,

I have hunted in unit 26 twice with a bull tag during the first rifle season. Both times I was close enough to shoot a cow with my bow. I didn't see hundreds of elk, probably due to my lack of experience and the number of people hunting but did see a few each day. There is a place called stump park that you can drive to (trailhead) and even camp at if you wish. You will need a 4x4 to get to the trailhead. We hiked about 2 miles to a small lake called solitary lake which is just beautiful and set up camp. It is not an easy hike back to there and you would need a decent map to find it, but that gets you away from other hunters=more elk. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:06 PM

Default RE: CO GMU's 25/26 ?

BG, Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the advice. I'll see if I can't find the spots you reference in my Delorean map book of CO. When I was out there I stopped at the store in Yampa (McGregors ??) and picked up couple more maps. One is a forest service map of Routt NF and the other was GMU map. If them places is on one of those maps I'll find'em. I also got me one of them fancy GPS's, so I don't get my sorry a$$ lost in the bush out there.

I liked the looks of Maggies Nipple, I could see the mountain from my camp.

Thanks again.
Bugs