Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk calls

Old 07-11-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Elk calls

I will be archery hunting elk in Western Washington in 58 days and 9 1/2 hours from now. (But who's counting?). I will be going on one more scouting trip two weeks before the hunt. I have been in constant contact with biologist and game management and have been reinsured of good sized, healthy herds of elk. I' ve never used an elk call before in my life and therefore, was wondering if I even should? Or, is there a call out there that is somewhat "idiot proof" that I should use, that won't send the bulls in the other direction? Thanks andI will part withsome backstrap.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk calls

Hoochie Mama.

Just get one.

They work.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:30 PM

Most hunters don't know how to use a bugle anyway. I've had more stalks ruined by knotheads who think they know howthan just about anything else.So like MTdrahthaarsays, use a cow call and thePrimos Hoochie Mama is the best for beginners. Closing the distance could be tough without one.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

These guys are right "hoochie momma" is by far your best bet they sound real and are basically fool proof.
If you have access to somone who can teach you then the next step and a good one if you can learn it properly is a call similar to the Sceery Hyper Hot cow call. Most of the call companies have one like it. Your choice would probably work. Easy to blow very difficult to not blow it. If you do not know what you are doing you would be much better off with the hoochie momma.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Abe & Son calls are very easy to use. Go to www.kolpin.com Good luck.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have plenty of time,get a hold of elknut,buy his dvd's.Go out and get 2 mouth diaphrams,one hoothcie mamma,one squeeze me cow call,and a good bugle tube(Rocky Jacobs makes the best IMO).Practice every night 1 hr,on you way to work,mowing the grass,what ever but I bet in 58 days and 9 hrs you will be able to call with top 80 % of hunters out there.
BBJ
Old 07-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Banned

Primos hoochie mamma for cow call and Abe and sons for bugle call HCH
Old 07-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

I would get a Hoochie Mamma and an elk diaphram.I had a big bull answer to my hoochie mamma a few years ago and swapped over to the estrous cow call and the bull kept getting further away.I tried the lost cow call and he came in screaming.
Also the diaphram has less movement for when they get close and leaves your hands free for shooting.
Elkshed
Old 07-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Barebackjack! Don't get hung up on one call, you'll be one dimensional, not good when you are limited & not versatile! Working bulls requires a knowledge & a skill that comes with experience, you don't have years to acquire this. Get outside help & info that can cut the "learning curve" down a bit.

Good Luck / ElkNut1
Old 07-13-2006, 09:24 PM

Hey! I'll be hunting the wet side around then as well, provided the doc gives me the okay. Early archery season is usually gorgeous out here.

CALLS: Like others have said, take a look at the Hoochie Mama for an effective cow call with zero learning curve. Also, go ahead and get a diaphram call or 2. They only cost a couple of bucks and they're pretty easy to learn. A bugle we are considering adding to our lineup is the HS Mac Daddy. Like the Hoochie Mama, it has a very short learning curve. Instead of changing pitch by moving your lip or tongue, it has a button on it that let's you control the sound. (Think key on a trumpet)

DVDs: I would also recommend getting ElkNut's Bugling Bulls & Beyond DVD series, because Paul really goes into detail of what kind of sounds to make when. Also, look at the Primos Mastering the Art Guide to Calling Elk. It will go a long ways to getting you making passable elk sounds. If you are hunting Rosies, take a look at Season 2005: Roosevelt Elk, which shows10 Washington archery hunts. We currently have 46 different elk titles on DVD as part of our rental program and also have addedcalling CDs from Jim Horn as well. DVDs are great for watching elk behavior, listening to their sounds,and watching how hunters interact with them.

-- FLIX

Quick Reply: Elk calls

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.