Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk calls

Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk calls

I got an education this past fall when I went to CO elk hunting with my bow for the first time. Spent a few days with a man that has hunted elk and been quite successful (22 elk taken over the years). He covered alot of ground, rarely called, and when he did it was a simple cow call. Spotting them first was the key.

First time I hunted elk, I picked up a Carlton cow call. It was a little plastic thing and I also gave one to another guy in our party. We were hunting 1st rifle and the others were laughing at us sitting in the truck listnening to Wayne's tape and mimicking the calls. Well, after the first day, when we had two bulls down they weren't laughing anymore. It was a bit ofbeginner's luck and also we both were cow calling as well. I've still got that same call and also picked up the hoochie mama as it doesn't hurt to mix it up a bit.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:09 AM

Default RE: Elk calls

Hey, many thanks to all of you. I ordered elknut's DVD and purchased a hoochie mama and will be picking up some mouth reeds. Still undecided on the bugle tube. Appreciate all your feedback.