Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

High Uintas Wilderness, Utah, Elk Hunting

Old 07-10-2006, 11:04 AM

Default High Uintas Wilderness, Utah, Elk Hunting

I was wondering if anyone had any information on the High Uintas Wilderness area in Eastern Utah. I am planning a rifleelk hunt in October. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: High Uintas Wilderness, Utah, Elk Hunting

My info may be a little out of date, but I backpacked for ten days in there in '91. I was in the midst of a summer that covered the Gila in NM, theWeminuche in CO, the Wind Rivers in WY, and the Bob Marshall in MT. I was out looking for game every day that summer, and saw more elk, by far, in the Uintas than anywhere else. It was really impressive elk country. No big bulls, though. It seemed like it was heavily hunted for a wilderness area.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:02 AM

I assume you're talking about the general season hunt on public land? North slope or south slope?

In general, there are bulls to be found but be prepared towork for them. Both units get hunted hard and the south slope is a very popular recreation area throughout the summer. An ATV comes in handy, but considerable hiking is required since ATV use is restricted to designated trails, as it should be. I may hunt the north slope this year - haven't decided yet.But I'm an archer and can hunt statewide beginning the last week in August. Rifle hunters are confined to a single unit.

I can provide more detailed info if you tell me which unit your tag is for.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Abuelo, I think he was asking about the wilderness designated area. You are talking about the entire Uinta mountain range.

Dirt2, the area is still pretty much the same. There is a boat load of elk in the wilderness area but it's hard to find a big bull. It's gets heavily hunted for a wilderness area but there is still great elk numbers. Just don't expect a big bull.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Abuelo

I may hunt the north slope this year - haven't decided yet.But I'm an archer and can hunt statewide beginning the last week in August. Rifle hunters are confined to a single unit.

I can provide more detailed info if you tell me which unit your tag is for.
Abuelo,
You must be talking about a deer tag. Elk tags work the same for archery as rifle. You either buy an "any bull" or "spike only" tag and you can hunt any of the corresponding areas with a rifle as well as archery.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:05 AM

I have to apologize for making an incredibly sloppy post. Sorry - "too much LDS back in the 60's" []

Rifle hunters must purchase either a spike or a general bull tag. Archers buya general season tag and can hunt bothspike units and general bull units with that tag. But it doesn't matter because both the North Slope and the South Slope are general bull units anyway. Sorry.

The High Uinta wilderness area can be accessed from a number of routes and whilevehicles are not allowed in the area itself, vehicle access to the wilderness boundary is an issue - maybe not so much for getting in but it sure is for getting an elk out. Been there, done that, got the scars to prove it.