Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Any luck for Michigan bears

Old 07-08-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Any luck for Michigan bears

Is there any body who's killed or has hunted Black bears is Michigan? Did you see many? Would it be better to go to Wisconsin or Minnesota? I'm looking for a hunt where I'll see animals.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:25 PM

Default RE: Any luck for Michigan bears

I grew up in the U.P. hunting bear, I have hunted them in WI and MN.
the state with the highest population is definatly MN, you can buy a licence over the counter for most areas and with the proper baiting can almost always shoot a bear.
the other good part is MN does not allow dog hunting for bear. so the bear will sit on your bait almost all season.
I may be willing to do some private guiding in northern MN, I wouldn't charge much just the price of some time, bait and gas to run around.
you would have to just get a place to stay.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:51 PM

Default RE: Any luck for Michigan bears

I have hunted & harvested bear (with a bow)in Nothern lower Michigan.....In the 90's it was almost a sure bet for us......draw a tag & have afair chance at a 18" bear. Well them days are long gone!!!!!! Lots of hounds & ( I have no problems with guys that hunt hounds...they can be hard on the bait hunters though)the country is getting smaller.....the DNR says that the bear numbers are up, but in our area they are down......They seem much smaller also. The last tag I drew, I had a nice bear working a bait saw him once but never offered me a good shot with a bow. With the price of gas now I will probably not hunt bear agin for awhile.
I would think about going to MN if you had the chance......Good luck