Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

3 months out - what am I forgetting?

Old 06-30-2006, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default 3 months out - what am I forgetting?

I'm heading to BC for my 1st elk hunt the week of 10/2/06. I've hunted off & on for nearly 30 years, but my only other "out west" trip was 8 years ago for a mulie, and base camp was a bed & breakfast. This time, it'll be guides, pack horses, & a camp without satellite TV.

I'm in really good shape, and have been for several years. I've started doing some trail running in my hunting boots, and I do other cardio & strength training, too. I guess the only way to approximate the Rocky Mountain altitude here in OH, would be to work out without breathing!

I get to the shooting range about twice a week. I've found a load that my rifle likes, and that I have confidence in. I'm moving from the bench, to prone, sitting, and offhand shooting.

I'll be upgrading my binocs, & I've got a post in the Gear forum soliciting opinions on that.

I haven't purchased any clothing yet, but I've got a Bass Pro nearby, & access to all the internet purveyors, too.

So, what am I forgetting?
*I plan on using a decent quality backpack, but it's more like a bookbag: no frame. Is this adequate?
* I don't have a spotting scope or a rangefinder. Are either, or both, mandatory?
* I've got a few knives. Should I expect to be able to dismember the critter singlehandedly, or will the guide have those tools covered?
* I haven't created a survival kit. Again, is this on me, or will the guide have it. If I need to make one, what would you recommend?
* How am I supposed to deal with the freakin' ANTICIPATION??? I'm so excited!!!!

Thanks for your help!

F.C.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 3 months out - what am I forgetting?

I have never hunted with a guide so I am useless for questions on what the guide brings and what is on you. But for a backpack, if you are hunting out of a camp, I would bring a pack like a Badlands superday or Hornhunter Mainbeam. I would definitely bring a couple of your own knives and a bone saw. Those Gerber folders are pretty descent, light, small.
May bring a water filter so you don't have to pack a lot of heavy water bottles.

There is no cure for anticipation, it kills all of us, even when you get to do the elk thing every year.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:41 PM

I think you should call your guide and see what he thinks about those things. My guess is the guide would dress out and quarter your elk for you. Don't know what to say about the anticipation. lol
Old 07-01-2006, 11:52 AM

First, you said guided horseback hunt but don’t mention whether you are currently riding or not. If not, start, now. If it is a long ways back in and you never get around to riding before the hunt, then here are two unmanly tricks that I have seen work: (1) take pain meds, (2) wear pantyhose for the long trip (10+ miles) in and out or BOTH. Personally I wear long underwear (regardless of temperature to prevent chaffing); however, I get some riding in through the year. If your legs are totally “unbroken in” then the panty hose (or silk long underwear at a minimum) trick can save your day --- figure one use and pitch. [Joe Namath, Superbowl victor QB,wasn’t an elk hunter (I don’t think) but one day wearing panty hose did not hurt his reputation or his checkbook.]

Second, shooting range --- (1) practice getting onto the target and shooting QUICK from field positions (if you can do it quick then you can easily do it slow), and (2) practice with a full magazine (vs. single feeding…. this sometimes reveals reliability issues) and (3) include an exercise of 4quick rounds with just “sufficient” accuracy to simulate follow up rounds--- elk don’t always respond to a hit and you want to keep shooting until they drop --- don’t stop to admire your shot --- re-acquire and shoot again, pronto.

Third, clothing… you should have warm clothing already given you back East; make sure you have clothing along that will pass for warm weather too (layers) . Camo isn’t really necessary because you will be wearing hunter orange anyway… save your money for something else (like a mid-range GPS you know how to use).

Forth, backpack. Get something with: (1) enough volume for your clothes when it warms up and you strip down. (2) IMHO, it needs a hip belt --- no comparison. Side note: I carry a pair of cheap neoprene construction gloves so if I have to hunt in the rain, then my hands can stay warm and yet I still have dexterity.

Fifth, anticipation… (1) Pack everything you need NOW! Weigh it. Hone it. Play with it. See what you can do without. Get the guides gear list. Resist “more is better” and go minimalist with items that can do double duty. (2) Exercise more with your boots and pack on and carrying something simulating a rifle (1" steel pipe)in your hands. (3) The good times and good things will take care of themselves…. visualize the challenges that typically “break hunters down”…. cold, rain, snow, mud, pain, dirt, hunger, darkness, boredom and envision enduring those things while displayingtremendous tenacity and patience.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Banned

Toothebrush. HCH Plus a hat or sunscreen since you are folically challenged. I would have a range finder and a small water purifier like a hiker pro model .
Old 07-01-2006, 05:05 PM

Where you going in BC? I know a couple of guides and outfitters, usually the guide will quarter, pack, skin the game etc BUT with a big animal like an elk two people make it ALOT easier so its a nice gesture to get in there and help if your guide wants/needs it. For the backpack depending on where your going you should be able to get the horse right to the animal and load it right there, or you might have to pack the quarters out to a suitable place then a larger pack is the only way to go. having said that I really like good sized day backs, such as this, 30L, will hold lots of gear for the day, and comfortable.

Unless I am packing the animal out, then I got with a large External frame pack. This is my frame(not the best pic, but good idea of size- I'm around 5'10'') I use it exclusively in back pack hunts, on this trip it was 15 miles into the country, andaround a 100# on the pack out. Doesn't hurt the back, hips, etc.

I would suggest you ask the Outfitter, they will be able to tell you what you need/don't need.

Kirby
Old 07-03-2006, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like good advice was given by all, but don't forget a roll or two of toilet paper in a plastic ziploc bag. Its a life saver.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Baby wipes are great out in the wilderness. Keeps you civilized.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

It seems good advice has been given, particularly by ELKampMaster. I like his suggestion to try to toughen up your mind through visualizing yourself enduring in the face of difficulties and think that sounds like pretty good advice. You might think about taking your own saddlebags (I have heard that if an outfitter supplies you with saddlebags they may be somewhat decrepit and unserviceable). A rifle scabbard might be a good idea too for the same reason or that your rifle might not fit into their scabbard well. You might also plan to carry a good camera with extra batteries, assuming the camera requires batteries, although this is probably in the "that's obvious" category. Carry good rain gear.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:58 AM

Definately take Camo for BC. The comment about wearing hunter orange is BS. Two trips to BC to hunt elk and I've never worn orange yet.

Take good rain gear, Goretex is the best. Get something that is very quiet like Cabela's MT050 or comparable.

Buy a better backpack. One with a hydration system would be best. Don't skimp on this one. Even though you won't be expected to haul out your elk on your own, you will be expected to carry your own lunch, water, ammo, change of clothes....

Definately buy/make your own survival Kit. I think the give away is the first word of the name--> SURVIVAL! I don't like to rely on someone else for my SURVIVAL. Things I like in my kit Include: Butane torch (its actually a soldering torch but is very handy to start damp wood), water proof matches, tender, aspirin, 2 ace bangages, Package of Romane Noodles, Tin Cup, antiseptic ointment, Blood stop powder (Veterinarian supply), space blanket, compass w/ magnifying lense, small Swiss army knife (w/ can opener), small can of vienna sausages, 50' of 550 para-chute cord.

Most importantly, you will be in very mountainous terrain buy some high quality Boots that fit very well. They need to be snug on your feet yet comfortable. Make sure they are well broke in. I used these boots and liked them very much, though they where a real pain to get broke in:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564&id=0005212 811471a&navCount=2&podId=0005212&paren tId=cat550012&navAction=push&catalogCode=Q T&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat550 012

Have fun and I hope you kill a Monster

Quick Reply: 3 months out - what am I forgetting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.