Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

3 months out - what am I forgetting?

Old 07-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 3 months out - what am I forgetting?

Thanks for the input, all.

BCMuleyhunter: I'll be hunting with Packhorse Creek Outfitters, out of Fernie, BC. It's in the far SE corner of the province. I got the idea that we could take the horses wherever we needed to, but you bring up a good point.

ELKampMaster: Thanks for the tips, especially about riding. I haven't done that for 25 years, & I'm not sure I'll have access to too many "training" opprotunities before the hunt. I DO, however, have the silk long underwear!

Baby Wipes? You bet your sweet A$$!!! I'm in the process of toilet training my 4th son, so I'm quite familiar with this marvel of modern engineering. Over the years I've been responsible for a major wealth transfer to those folks at Kimberly Clark. I've had more than my fair share of "3-wipe" showers, & they really work quite well.

Shato: thanks for the rain gear recommendations. That's one area where I've got to get crackin'.

To my own chagrin, I think I'm going to get the Zeiss FL 8x42 binocs: I absolutely fell in love with 'em. You'd think that, after a tough divorce, I'd have learned better about falling in love!

Sothe next question is, after blowing the boys' college funds on binoculars, will I be able to "settle" for a more reasonably priced spotting scope? Or, is this yet another area where I should go all-out? What do you guys think?

Thanks for all the help,

F.C.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

I have never taken a spotting scope on an elk hunt. Especially with a guide. If you want it for entertainment while in a stand, OK. But the guide will have his binos out and will have the area scoped out before you even get to your binos. He does not have to deal with a rifle like you do. A spotting scope is extra weight and one more thing to keep track of.

I have a rule that I go by in the woods. I never lay anything down on the ground except my pack and rifle. If I do I will forget it and leave it. So if I get a gadget out I alwaysput it back in my pack. Gloves, hat, GPS, compass, elk call, extra ammo, glasses. Whatever. If you get it out, put it back in the pack or your coat. Not on the ground or hanging from a tree limb.

If this is a horse-back hunt then I would recommend purchasing your own rifle scabbard and get one that fits your rifle and has good strong straps.

While on horse-back, do not be messing with gloves, hats or other things because you will drop them on the ground. Then the whole mule-train has to stop and probably the guide will get down to retrieve your glove. But he will not miss an apportunity for advice on what you can do with your glove.

Your elk hunt is probably to most enjoyable hunt you will ever go on and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Just do what the guide says, ask questions, make suggestions but do what the guide says.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis
Definately buy/make your own survival Kit. I think the give away is the first word of the name--> SURVIVAL! I don't like to rely on someone else for my SURVIVAL.
Ditto. This area stuck out to me like a sore thumb, not to negate the other good advice already given.

Spud
Old 07-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

..The twenty mule team,,an Oniel wetsuit to ward off the skeeters and ford those streams,,and um,,rope, lots of rope. That outta do it.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:00 PM

I don't know that outfitter, but another one of my friends runs and outfit down there, its good country, some HUGE elk. I was working down there 2 years ago and a guy I worked with took a 360+" bull, and two other guys I know have both taken 370+. Your in good country. You won't have to worry about packing far down there.Good luck.

Kirby