Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

nevada tags?

Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: nevada tags?

Jeff - good job on that tag. I was in 162 last December lion hunting, and ran into some elk. I was just in the area yesterday and found a lone bull track (pretty sure it was a younger bull, it was walking down the road, no other tracks around, not BIG, but decent sized, and still pretty tight, so I don't think it was too old of an elk, so either that or an unbred cow), and some other good sign, all that I was driving roads on my wheeler. Let me know if you will need any help, I will be spending a lot of time this summer/fall in the area lion hunting, and I get back from POST on November 18th, so I can help out if needed, heck, I could probably go out there on opening day if you want the help, its only 35 miles from my house.

Zim - same to you, I posted in West, I can help you out if you need, and might be able to shoot over to Ely for a day. I had a cow muzzle loader hunt there last year the week after bull archery, and know where the elk hang out up there, HIGH, lol. Let me know, keep in touch.

On a side note, I will be hunting area 10 with my muzzleloader this year. Should be fun, never hunted deer with a muzzleloader before.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:39 AM

well if sixteen aren't the best tags than what is?? i've personally seen a 410 bull come off the mountain. if there is a better spot where is it?? now i'm curious.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:48 AM

hey charlie brown!
you must live in belmont or round mountain or something to live that close. am planning on coming up there with my brother-in-law, his son and my son in the next month. seeing as how access to table is only on foot or by horse, can't take the fourwheelers up top, but can run some roads below. maybe we'll camp at mosquito creek or barley creek. if i can swing it finacially i'm going to try and get nick perchetti to guide me up top when the time comes, if he's doing late hunts this year. but my guess is that if he does, the hunt surely won't be for the whole sixteen days. gotta go to work. see ya!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I already met the only other nonresident archery tag holder for 111 on the Bowsite. That's pretty neat. He's from Pennsylvania.

I'd like to get any advice I can as soon as I get my maps. They are all on the way.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:15 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

I only questioned your choice because you mentioned you'd rather have the earlier hunt. I don't know the difference in quality between the 1st & 2nd hunt. My bet is they are both good.

I love elk archery hunting and can't wait to get back out west. No tags for me last year. Would be cool to get a crack at a 350+ bull. I have never even seen one.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I live in Eureka. The area I have been getting into with my wheeler, and plan to this summer, and all fall and winter, is the country North of the Table, where you can get wheelers all up on top into the basins. Butler Basin, Charnac Basin, White Rock, Big Flat, etc. Not as many elk, and not sure what the hunter pressure is like, but a heck of a lot easier to get into than the Table is. I am not sure what you have your sights set on for a bull, but I will definately keep my eyes open.

Let me know when you come up. If you plan it early enough, maybe I can get one or two last days of vacation before the end of July to have some fun.

Let me know

Later,

Marcial

Old 06-15-2006, 07:14 PM

if you're from eureka you probably know Joe Maslach jr. he's the game warden.
he had a PIW tag last year.
going fishing for a week in july to mexico,so probably won't get a chance before the last weekend of july.
any decent proprerty for sale up there in the trees??? would be interested if you know of any.
will look on the map for the north side access you mentioned. i have "my ultimate map" software, but that was a waste of money. will bring my machines regardless of where we camp on the bottom or north. still need to check out all the roads. i lived in tonopah for ten years, but spent more time on jefferson and in 17, Ophir, cow canyon etc. hiked up table once with mama. hiked infrom mosquito creek. what a hike. cleared some trail for the boy scouts on barely creek but never went all the way in that way.
gotta go.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff - Yeah, I know Joe.

Property - not real sure, have been looking myself, lol

The maps I use are the Delorme and Benchmark Atlas books. Plenty of detail for general guidance in an area, but nothing beats the USGS 1:24,000 and 1:100,000 maps for the fine stuff.