Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Back from Sak..

Old 06-06-2006, 11:42 AM

Default Back from Sak..

Ok here the story and some pics…

I’ll start by saying this was one of the best hunts I was ever on…. I am planning to go back next May.. Well I left on sat afternoon and traveled from NY to Min/St. Paul and from there to Saskatoon Sak… Once there I stayed at the hotel and was picked up on Sun . by the outfitter.. After a 5 hour drive we arrived at the resort.. After settling into the cabin and hanging out with Terry another hunter from the Maryland we went up to the main building and met the rest of the family and staff.. I have to say these are some of the nicest people I have ever met.. We hung out for a while getting to know them and looking and some of the bear pics from the trail cameras…

Mon.-- Rained all day.. We headed out in the afternoon to the satnds.. We came to hunt we had rain gear there would be no sitting in the cabin because of rain.. Any way’s Mon was uneventful..

Tue. --- Weather was perfect. Hot and sunny all day.. We hit the stands and the bears were on the baits.. I had 3 bears at my bait the first being a small sow.. While she was there she saw something coming and took off.. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that another bear was coming in.. Well the medium sized boar 200-250 lbs. shows up.. I watch him for a while and then he spots something and walks off but doesn’t go far.. He hangs back to see what is coming and it’s a smaller boar maybe 150-175 lbs. Well he marches back in and they get into it right in front of me.. That was cool to watch.. So the bigger of the two wins the fight and get’s to eat… Well now the smaller one is wandering around my stand.. He’s rubbing trees and waiting his turn at the bait.. Well this bear rubs a tree right below me and as he’s rubbing he looks up right at me.. I say to my self OH CRAP… Yeh you guessed it he wants a closer look at what’s in the tree.. He starts up the tree and get’s about half way up when I look over the side and kind of wave my arms well he goes back down.. Now my heart is pounding and I’m watching this bear circle under my stand.. He then decides he wants to try this again and the idiot I am I say hey this will make a great pic… Here he comes right up the front of my tree, he gets to the platform and plops his head right on it less then 2 feet from me, all I could see was teeth and nostrils. Well I just about had a heart attack I’m sitting there with camera in hand.. Common sense then kicks in and I grabbed my bow and began hitting him about the head and face.. He finally goes back down the tree… Now I sit in this satnd the rest of the night watching the bait and watching for this bear that seems to like visiting me… Luckily the bigger bear left the bait and this one was able to go and eat… What a night..

Wed & Thurs were uneventful.. None of the baits were hit at all and no one saw a bear.. We did here them off in the woods growling.. The guides think they were mating.. It was very strange everyone saw bears the day before and then nothing they didn’t even hit the baits at night.. We also did some fishing during the day and caught some nice pike.. The lake we were on has 2000 miles of lake front it is huge..

Fri-- We head out to another bait site and settle in.. This time Terry is hunting within a mile of me and he is using a gun so I could here if he took a shot.. We drooped him off and then they took me to my stand.. After about an hour in the stand I here a shot from Terry and figure he got one.. I’m in my stand about 3 hours and I see one coming in.. I get ready and this 200 lbs. boar shows up,,, Now I was in this stand looking for this big Chocolate colored bear that has been hitting the bait.. This boar begins eating and I’m thinking about shooting it.. He was there for a good 40 minutes and I finally decide to take it.. It’s Friday the weeks over time for being picky is over.. I wait and get a good broadside shot. I take the shot the arrow hits right where I was aiming the bear roars does some flips and rolls and takes off on a death run.. I listen and hear a crash maybe 60-70 yards back in the woods.. Once dark rolls in the guide shows up and I tell him what happened and we go looking for it.. We find blood but the woods are so thick we decide to come back in the morning.. I’m cool with that because I am a 100% sure about my shot.. One other thing when the arrow hit the bear it went threw and hit the barrel and left a nice broad head hole in the barrel but that stopped it from passing threw the bear. When he took off I could see the arrow sticking out of the bear..

We head over to Terry and he say’s he shot one again we look find some blood and decide to come back in the morning..

Sat-- We get up earley 7:00 Am and get a bite to eat and head out to look.. We go for mine first and I am sure we will find it right there.. Nope… We looked for like 6 hours with no luck.. These woods are so thick you couldn’t see the guy standing 2 feet from you.. We had a great blood trail but then it got real scarce.. I think that the arrow was plugging the holes… They are going to check the area again this week and hopefully the birds will point them to the bear.. I have to see what happens..

Over all this was a great hunt and I am planning on returning next year..

Anyone planning a spring bear hunt 3 things that are a must have are a
1) Thermacell-- I could not believe how well this thing kept the bugs away from me..
2) A Bug jacket for when you are away from the Thermacell.. When we went looking for my bear we were swarmed by millions of mosquitoes and other bugs.. Never saw anything like it before.
3) A Tree umbrella for when it rains..

Here are some pics..

Bear at Bait.

Bears Fighting

Old 06-06-2006, 02:48 PM

Default RE: Back from Sak..

A year ago I would have said that I had no interest in bear hunting, but with a bow, and stories like this, I will definately do it some day.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

Pics not working...I will tell you all that nothing has made my heart pump as hard as when a bear walks in on you...it is a rush to see them up close and in your face. Very inexpensive biggame hunt too. Glad you had fun NYBH!!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let me assist you in posting the pics.

Here are some pics..

Bear at Bait.

Bears Fighting

Old 06-07-2006, 07:32 PM

Cool pic's- I leave next friday for Quebec can't wait will be my first father & son trip (my son can't stop talking about it!)...GLAD TO SEE YOU HAD A GREAT TIME!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you lost your bear, what about your friend did he lose his too or did they find that one?
Old 06-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and it sounds like a wonderful adventure. Too bad about your bear. It sounds like terrible luck. Thanks for the tips too.

"Very inexpensive biggame hunt too." -Hardcore
Bear hunting in Ontario used to be $19 for the license and you could self-guide. That was inexpensive, the best deal in big game hunting. Now it is only inexpensive from a certain point of view. Too bad too.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am still curious if you guys found any of the bears you shot?