Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I'm stoked fellas.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm stoked fellas.

Before you head afield, I feel like I should warn you about the danger of elk hunting first. IT'S EXTREMELY ADDICTING!
So true!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:12 PM

I'd be glad to give you some more advice, as I'm sure the others would as well, but it would be really helpful to know what type of hunting you plan on doing (bow or rifle) first.

Chances are, the hunting gear you already have for deer hunting will be fine. Make sure you have good boots, which is a good rule of thumb regardless of what you're chasing, and and just wear whatever clothing you wear Mule Deer hunting. As for actual gear, a packable bone saw is handy,a good, sharp knife, a pack frame is good to have if you cannot drag the elk out in halves, good binocs, a survival kit (matches, little first aid kit, ect), water bottle, camera, flashlight, and anything else you like to have with you when you go hunting. A little chunk of rope is always good to have to lash meat to your pack or make a drag to pull out halves. Pretty much everything early already listed.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:07 AM

Manboy
I drew the unit that runs along the east edge of Custer State Park, I know a rancher there who owns a big chunk of land that borders the Park. You don't by chance know the Carrs in Newcastle do you? They are my Aunts family.

Everyone else,
Thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming, I'm still trying to read through the link, great advice so far.

How do I get a hold of the Elknut videos?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:01 AM

Heres a link to elknut's videos: http://www.elknut.com/Our_Products_1.html

I bought the three video set. They are great videos if you want to learn how to call. I used his techniques to score these beauties:

He's a regular poster on this site and would expect him to post on your question.

Another tip is to hunt them from above. You will have better success than hunting up to them. Go slow and get close without getting too close. Make the first one count. Follow up shots are few and far between.

Know the area. I mean really know the area. Know escape routes, bedding areas, watering areas, feeding areas etc. Try to intercept them between feeding and bedding areas.

Use up a lot of boot leather but hunt smart. Try to walk farther in than most folks are willing to go.

Expect success. Even when things are going bad and you feel like its hopeless, expect succes at any moment. Keep your attitude positive.

And finally get lucky. I like to think that we make our own luck. So go out and get lucky.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:46 AM

I just read through that thread, exactly what I was looking for. I'll be looking through it at least a few more times, lots of good info.

Now it's time to get some Elknut videos.

I drew a rifle tag, but I'm going to try to get one w/ my bow first, if I can't I'll have my .300 mag along to make sure I don't eata tag sandwich, I like Elk meat too much!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:42 AM

Since I don't have time to get a lot of field experience w/ calls, what do you guys think of the Hootchie mama or similar push calls or cans?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:37 AM

I personally am a fan of the hoochie mamma. The only problem I've heard of is it getting dust or what not inside and crapping out. So maybe carry two or a reed as back up. I think I remeber the elk tip thread awhile back and it was a pretty good one. The advice I always tell people is if you hunt timber, you can never be going slow enough. Anyone can shoot an elk out in the open, and given that shot it can make elk hunting seem as easy as deer. The real challenge can be still hunting timber, but in a lot of ways its the most rewarding. If you do choose to hunt timber you should have a pair of 8x32 binos, literally take two or three quite steps and scan the timber. The crouch down and scan again. A lot of people equate hard hunting with the amount of ground you cover in the day. But for me, it is how you hunt that equates to more success. What is the point of bumping elk 10 miles in if you never get a shot off? You might have walked a lot farther, but you might as well have left your gun at the truck, because you sure ain't killing nothing tromping through the trees. When you think your going slow enough and scanning your surroundings with enough scrutiny, go slower and scan more.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:53 AM

I just ordered my Elknut video. I do plan on hunting timber w/ my bow, and hope I can get one that way, it gives you a much better feeling of accomplishment, in my mind.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I don't have time to get a lot of field experience w/ calls, what do you guys think of the Hootchie mama or similar push calls or cans?
They work good, but also have their draw backs. Example say a hunter is hunting the same area that you are and he has the same push calls. He calls in a bull and either chooses to pass but the elk knows he or she is theiror it busts him and he doesn't have a shot. Either way the bull figures out that the call came from a human and not a elk. Well the next day or two or maybe a week or solater you come onto this bull. When he hears your same call the elk is now education to that call, and knows that it is in fact a human and not a elk. I do use the pust calls butmostly with several cow calls, so I can sound like a heard of elk instead of just one or two. If that is all you have then its better then nothing unless of course everyone else on the mountain has one too. One last thing remember to not overuse them.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:11 PM

One huge advantage I will have is that no one else hunts the land I'll be on, it's private ground and the owner hasn't let anyone shoot an elk there for 8 years.

Quick Reply: I'm stoked fellas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.