Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wolves KILL hounds!!

Old 06-04-2006, 09:34 PM

Default Wolves KILL hounds!!

This story is long, sad but true!!

http://www.trackincats.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1392&sid=cd4f1b13b6bc529f6974d ffb49fab19a#1392
Old 06-04-2006, 11:17 PM

Default RE: Wolves KILL hounds!!

I hate to say it, butscenarios such as this onewere pretty much predicted by an oldrancher up in Hinton, Alberta upon observing thecapturing ofgray wolves for import into the USA in the 1990s. I'm thinking our grandfathers knew exactly what they were doing in dealing with wolves 2 generations ago and I approve of their earlier plan for the more populated, more domesticated lower 48.

Unfortunately, the quest to turn the West into anature observation laboratory/zoo is well underwayand it is likely that at some pointwe won't needto concern ourselves abouthunting licenses for big game. I'm glad my boys and I got to see it all while it was in its heyday and for that I am thankful. Fond memories.The next generation in my family will likely not completely believethe past abundanceand will likely discount accounts of it as "old-timer-good-old-days-gone-by" nostalgia.

Point, Set, and quite likely Match.
IMO, the enviros have pretty much already won, it is likely that it is just going to take a little while for what was a very masterful plan on their partto play itselfout. They could still fail; however, they are an organized, well financed, and highly motivated opponent. Combine that with the current day media and our current social trends [:'(]and the handwriting is just about "on the wall."
Old 06-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Boy that is a really sad story. I believe I would be packing anyway in country like that and would not have failed to shoot the wolf or wolves in question
Old 06-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the things that really chaps my hide. Many people when polled in non-wolf range say they don't want wolf populations controlled. But there was an incident recently where Gray Wolves at a zoo in Wisc. as I recall got out of their cages. People were "running for safety" to get away from the wolves until they could be tranquilized and put back in the fenced area.

People who live in wolf country have wolves "outside the fence" every day. They don't run away and go into hysterics about it. But many in these areas DO want to have say in the population of wolves, not eliminate them all together. Most are people with common sense and think that before the wolf population gets beyond the level that can be sustained, the reasonable thing is to thin out their numbers, so that they and their prey (i.e. deer, elk, moose, etc.) don't need to go through the extreme highs and lows that take many years, if not decades to correct.