Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Spring 2007 Black Bear Hunt

Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Spring 2007 Black Bear Hunt

Let me start this post by saying that I have a great wife.

Yesterday she called me at work to tell me her Mom's brain scan came back clear. (She had a tumor removed in April)
That is the first bit of good news in my house in a few months. Then, she dropped the bomb!

"Honey, why don't you go ahead and book your bear hunt for next spring".

After picking myself up I uttered "uh, oK Hon".

I have been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding Bears and Bear hunting in the last 6 months and I have spent countless hours here and on a million guides websites. I am pretty sure Manitoba is where I want to go, my budget being between 3-5k, with taxidermy figured in. I'll be driving up from the Chicago area and figure 1 night camping or in a motel each way.

Can you recommend me some Manitoba guides in my price range.

Thanks,
Bowflex
Old 05-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Banned

Default RE: Spring 2007 Black Bear Hunt

No ,but bring good insect clothing and repellants. I bear hunted once in the spring in ON and never again. A cloud of bugs buzzin' around your head at all times. Ticks,black flies, and mosquitos!!!! I like bear hunting in the fall way better. I mean it...bring good quality bug netting outfits. Black flies will be in your mouth as you eat your food if you are outside. Anyway, have a great hunt and good luck finding your outfitter.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Use a thermacell and you wont have any problems at all with bugs.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

I have heard that the thermacell works great
Old 05-28-2006, 03:13 PM

Hi Bowflex. here's some info on Manitoba Outfitters for spring bear. Call ASAP as I know that they will all likely be sold out soon. However with the 2006 spring season still ongoing, you may have to be patient to get ahold of them,as these guys will still be involved in the current hunt. I will add website links under the outfitters that have websites.
Outfitter Contact and phone #
- Desjardins Outfitting: Alexis Desjardins 204-447-3028

- Mountain Oak Outfitters: Blair Hopfner 204-732-2483
www.mountainoakoutfitters.com

-Sugarloaf Outfitting: Larry & Reuben Rickards 204-546-2873

- Grandview Outfitters: Tom Ainsworth 204-546-2751
www.grandviewoutfitters.ca

The last 3 outfitters listed each had at least one B&C bear last spring. Desjardins Outfitting had a B&C bear the year before i believe. All 4 places provide an excellent chance for colour phase bears and have high bear densities. There are no black flies in these areas. The mosquitos will be bad at times, especially later on in the spring season. Although the bear season opens in lateApril in Manitoba, I would recommend booking no earlier than the first week in May as this gives the majority of the bears time to start moving after their winter sleep. Good luck with the 2007 hunt!

PS: I did not check prices.... but i believe that with a budget of $5000 u should be able to afford the hunt and a taxidermy bill as well.These outfitters are located in the west central part of the province. This will take some time off your drive as hunting in northern Manitoba would add 4+ hours to your drive.