Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunter Orange ??

Old 05-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunter Orange ??

Hey y'all... I'm doing a couple college speeches on hunter orange( 4-6 min. each). One is supposed to be informative and one persuasive. So I was going to inform everyone in the class what hunter orange was and how it is used and then in the second speech, persuade them (as if they were all hunters) to wear hunter orange while hunting. My question to y'all is, do you have anyinfo or good reasons to wear orange? Many of my internet resources are the same and lack info. They are also based around NY state a lot. Thanks for all your guys' replies. I'll be sure to mention huntingbbs in my bibliography.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunter Orange ??

Well down here in Florida you wear it so you don't get SHOT! I even put it on my dog so he will not get shot.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I am hunting in a public area, I always wear an orange vest AND an orange hat, regardless of whether or not it is required. Deer do not see the orange color. I have seen studies that determined that deer were able to discern blue, but notorange. I have had deer and elk walk within 10 feet of me and not see me, even though I was in full view. I have never once thought that the orange I was wearing spooked game, but it sure lets other hunters see me!

In the car, it is buckle up,
in the woods it is orange up!

I also put hunter orange on anthing I am carrying on a backpack that might be mistaken as an animal part: Antlers, etc.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even on a private property, accidents happen. I would know, the ONE day I hunted without hunter orange(in TX so not against the law), my dad and I got separated and he accidentally shot me through the thigh. I was lucky as the bullet travelled at an angle through 10" of flesh without hitting bone, artery, or tendons. Granted, it passed within less than 1/4" of each of these... Hunter orange is and absolute must! If a veteran hunter of 35 years experience can make a mistake, anyone can.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Judyboi

Even on a private property, accidents happen. I would know, the ONE day I hunted without hunter orange(in TX so not against the law), my dad and I got separated and he accidentally shot me through the thigh. I was lucky as the bullet travelled at an angle through 10" of flesh without hitting bone, artery, or tendons. Granted, it passed within less than 1/4" of each of these... Hunter orange is and absolute must! If a veteran hunter of 35 years experience can make a mistake, anyone can.
Is your dad Dick Cheney?
Old 05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

Click on my name and then find the post I authored titled "they shoot horses don't they?"
Story is a little long, but reinforces the need to wear orange!
Old 05-16-2006, 04:51 PM

Well i know that in the majority of Alberta hunter orange isnt mandatory because there is such a low number of hunter per square mile during the season so it isnt mandatory and also lots of the land is private.In the areas where most of the land is public hunter orange is mandatory for the simple fact there are alot of hunters on public land and well it stops you from getting shot.But i hunt on private land so i dont see the need to use hunter orange because i know where everyone is but on the odd occasion when someone else is in there hunting i do wear hunter orange because i dont want to have my life rely on the judgment of someone i dont know. When i am out hunting with people i do know the only time i use orange is when we are pushing bush or i have shot and animal and im draggin it out because i have heard of people caring animals on their shoulders then getting shot at so i make sure i wrap the animals in anything bright and noticable i have when im transporting an animals out of the bush. Hope this helps you a bit and good luck on the speeches.