Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What to get?

Old 05-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default What to get?

Lookin to get a new rifle to carryup and down the hills out west this year for elk and mule deer currently have a 300RUM lookin for a light-weight rifle in either a 300WSM or 300REM short action any recomendiations? I also heard about some lawsuit about the WSM's is this true I think they called it 'THE JAMISON LAWSUIT" any truth to this?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What to get?

I would check out the Remington Model Seven...
Old 05-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just my opinion, but I would stick to the .300RUM load up some good 180's and you'll be set for both elk and deer. I myself do shoot the .300 RUM when I am not packing a bow. I don't know where in the west you plan on hunting but sometimes the shots tend to be long. Provided you can shoot yourrifleaccuratly I would choose it over the .300 WSM or .300 RSAUM.If you are dead set on buying a new rifle, wellbetween the two youmentionedI would choose the .300 WSM. I think in a few years the remingtonshort magwill be a thing of the past. I haven't heard of any law suitabout the WSM's, but they aregoing strong and manufactures sell a lot of them. Ihave a .270 WSM on layway right now, it will bemy new deer rifle/coyote toy. Iknow it could take down a elk too, but ifelk is on themenu I'll still choose the .300 RUM any day of the week.If you are worried about weightbetween the .300 RUM and a .300 WSM the difference will be at most 2 pounds.Also think of this if you are having a hard time packing a rifle in where you are hunting, think of how hard its going to be to pack a deer or even a elk out. Iask people if they can't hack packing in the weight of a pack plus their weapon then how in the heck are they planning to pack the animal out? Something to think about!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:17 AM

If you've got the money, check out the Kifaru Rambling Rifle at Kifaru.net.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 PM

My money would be on a Remington model 7 in 300saum or 35rem mag.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 PM

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

Just my opinion, but I would stick to the .300RUM load up some good 180's and you'll be set for both elk and deer. I myself do shoot the .300 RUM when I am not packing a bow. I don't know where in the west you plan on hunting but sometimes the shots tend to be long. Provided you can shoot yourrifleaccuratly I would choose it over the .300 WSM or .300 RSAUM.If you are dead set on buying a new rifle, wellbetween the two youmentionedI would choose the .300 WSM. I think in a few years the remingtonshort magwill be a thing of the past. I haven't heard of any law suitabout the WSM's, but they aregoing strong and manufactures sell a lot of them. Ihave a .270 WSM on layway right now, it will bemy new deer rifle/coyote toy. Iknow it could take down a elk too, but ifelk is on themenu I'll still choose the .300 RUM any day of the week.If you are worried about weightbetween the .300 RUM and a .300 WSM the difference will be at most 2 pounds.Also think of this if you are having a hard time packing a rifle in where you are hunting, think of how hard its going to be to pack a deer or even a elk out. Iask people if they can't hack packing in the weight of a pack plus their weapon then how in the heck are they planning to pack the animal out? Something to think about!
I couldn't agree more. You already have an excellent rifle, so buying a new 300 WSM or SAUM would be a waste of money. Like idahoelkinstructor said, you really won't save much weight with a short action rifle, and if you can't pack around a normal rifle elk hunting you're going to be SOL if you get an elk down. Use all of that money to buy something else, like a nice spotting scope, a good frame pack, boots, or in light of the rising gas prices, gas to get out here.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stick to your 300 ultra mag, I've dropped my last two elk, and my only mule deer with mine. The elk are just dying for me to use mine!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hve heard some bad things about the Ultra Mag rounds and how they wear out a barrel and chamber pretty quickly. The life cycle of one of those rifles is somewhere in the couple thousand rounds range. Just MO, but I stay away from them for that reason.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The normal wear in a 300 RUM will last the life of the owner.I've had 3 and still own one.I love the 300 RUM and a big fan of the .338 RUM.

I wouldn't switch from what your using,I have owned the 300wsm and it is great little round as is the 270 wsm.If you are realy worried about weight,not being a a$$ go on a diet and start working out,drop 10lbs and then gain 10 lbs of muscle and the 300 RUM will seem like a 6lb gun on opening day.
BBJ
Old 06-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend taking a close look at a .300 WM Tikka.
I've read a number of articles that say that in a number of tests, mag. short calibers have not performed as well in the tightness of shot groupings as the same caliber and rifle in the standard size brass. I personally see little advantage to a short mag. other than a slight different in bolt travel.

To tell you what U.S. Military thinks of accuracy of calibers. The predominant sniper training and rifle they use is .300 WM for accuracy. I know they have .50 rifles too. But those obviously doubt translate into civilian rifles for hunting purposes.

I've found .300 WM Tikka with a very good quality scope and premium loads to be excellent (sub 1 MOA) at 100 and 200 yards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.