Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

colorado gmu 43

Old 04-04-2006, 10:02 AM

Default colorado gmu 43

Planning a 1st rifle hunt to gmu 43 any advise on this area, being that this is my first western elk hunt.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: colorado gmu 43

Get away from roads at leat 2-3 miles and you will probably do ok, but be ready to cover lots of ground. That is the premier season for elk and there are lots of elk in that unit. They are usually still bugling some if you get some cool weather.

Have just hiked in that area (maroon bells wilderness), never hunted, but just some advice for you and others: If you want some info, don't come on any website with 1 post and ask for specific hunting advice. Posts like yours rarely get much feedback. You have to build relationships. If you were a common poster, and had hundreds of posts, you would probably have gotten a much better response.

Good luck. There is some beautiful country in that area.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Spike

Default RE: colorado gmu 43

Call the Colorado Division of Wildlife and get the contact information from the game manager for that unit. Call him and leave him a message. He's very busy but he will return your call and it will be worth the trouble. Ask him very specific questions. It may help in advance to get a trails illustrated topo map of the area (Aspen- Maroon Belles) first so you can have an intelligent conversation with himBe in good shape. That unit has one of the higher average elevations of all of the CO hunting units. I hope you have some goodpack stock.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy the experience!