Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

243 for Elk?

Old 03-28-2006, 09:28 AM

Default 243 for Elk?

I'm looking for some input. I'm booking a hunt this Saturday with Lirpa Out fitters in Texas for a September rut hunt. I only have a 243 is that big enough for elk? My Guide (Loof Lirpa I think he must be european with a name like that) says it's plenty big enough. We will be hunting a portion of their ranch that is over 140 acres in size. I asked if there was a good chance of getting a good bull, he chuckled and said " I gaurentee it!" man am I pumped, I've been saving for years for a wildnerness experience like this. Will I need to worry about cover scents or calls do you think?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 243 for Elk?

The 243 is the minumum legal cartridge in most states. On a hunt like you are talking about, it might work with perfect shot placement. However, I wouldn't attempt it myself. I would go with a minimum of the 6.5x55 or 270. 30-06 would be even better.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cowboy Al,
Not to rain on your parade but,140 acers is no way near a willderness experiance.I have a feeling there is a pen involved.
As for caliber,if penned game is on the menue then the .243 is perfect.Now if this a legitimate elk hunt with plenty of varitbles,you might wanna get your self a new gun,I mean why spend 7k on a hunt and not have the right tools.Since you are a novice at hunting elk I will say this.If you can shoot a 243,you can handle a 25-06,you can handle a 25-06,might as well try a 270,since the 270 is not that bad go an buy a 30-06.Put a 3-9 scope,box or 2 of 180 gr Noslers,nice sling and have fun.
BBJ
Old 03-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, I think (know)he is spoofing us!! Reread the entire post. If he is serious, he REALLY needs help.

Shame on your Cowboy, April 1st is days away!
Old 03-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Don't even bring a gun. When they lead your elk over to the feed bin on a leash you can just whack it in the head with a hammer. There's no free range, "wilderness" elk hunts in Texas. 140 acres is nothing for size. You'll be lucky if you can find a spot where you can't see the high fence. What you're booking isn't a hunt, it's a paid execution and there's nothing sporting about it. Save yourself the hassle and buy an elk head on eBay and then make up a b.s. story about how you trekked into the wilderness to harvest the majestic beast. This crap disgusts me.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

I didn't think it was a spoof. He got me if it is a spoof. I was thinking that if he thought 140 acres was a wilderness experience then I kind of felt sorry for him.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Spoof or not that crap goes on all the time and it gives us all a bad name because people call it hunting. I've got no problem with people killing farm animals in confined spaces, but I draw the line when they call it hunting. It's no different than calling consentual sex and rape the same thing just because the basic mechanics of it are the same.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:02 PM

LOOF LIRPA

APRIL FOOL (backwards). Don't give it any more usefull energy.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:30 PM

Loof Lirpa. Had me going though. I was wondering why someone from Alberta would go to texas to find wilderness. Not to mention the rediculous "hunt"

Reminds me of the best april fools joke I ever seen pulled off. It was a few years back. You need some background info: My dad had booked his first African safari. He was all excited and would tell anyone who stopped for a second about his upcoming hunt. He was going to hunt cape buffalo, elephant, kudu, gemsbok...... It was borderline annoying. Its all he talked about for a whole year. So it april and His hunt is only a couple of months away. He has been shooting his new 416 rem mag every chance he had. He's showed the stinkin gun to everbody. He carries it around in his truck just to show people. So April 1st rolls around. He's sitting in his office doing paperwork when the lady who runs the flower shop comes in all excited. She say's: A circus stopped at the truck stop to fill up their trucks and the one with the elephants ran off in the ditch. The elephants slammed into the side and bust out. they are running around crazy. The police are afraid they are going to trample someone. They want anyone with a large enough gun to come in case they have to put one down." My dad gets all excited and goes rushing out the door. When he got to his truck the lady yells: "APRIL FOOLS!!!!!" Oh it got him soooooooo good. I still laugh when I think of it.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:21 PM
DM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.