Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

? on Colorado GMU's for archery elk v.s. 2005 harvest stats

Old 03-27-2006, 12:16 PM

Default ? on Colorado GMU's for archery elk v.s. 2005 harvest stats

I have been reviewing the 2006 archery elk season, by GMU,portion of the regs for Colorado and comparing them with the 2005 archery elk harvest statistics, by GMU. I am noticing that some of the GMUs where there are harvest statistics for archery elk in 2005 (such as301, 11, 211, 131, 22, 471, 123 and 133 - all of which were OTC tags in 2005), there doesn't appear to be a archery season in those GMUs this year. Am I correct on this? Will there not be any archery season in those areas this year? An example of this would be thatfor GMU 11 there are dates for rifle seasons, but no archery (or muzzle loader for that matter) and there are archery harvest stats for 2005 for that area.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 03-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? on Colorado GMU's for archery elk v.s. 2005 harvest stats

The big game brochure has hunt codes for onlyLIMITED seasons, not OTC seasons. Therefore you won't see unit 11 in the brochure under archery because it is an OTC unit. You will also not see it under the muzzleloading season because it was a "statewide" muzzleloader tagunit.

Look at the rifle elk codes. It has either sex tags for the first rifle season (a draw only season), then only cow tags for the second and 3rd season because it is OTC for rifle bulls for the second and 3rd season. Then it is a draw only for either sex tags for the 4th season again (also a draw only season).

Hope that clears it up. Bottom line is YES, there will be a bow season in unit 11 and it will be OTC.

They make it slightly hard to see that because in the regs under elk section, they say that archery tags are OTC EXCEPT in the following units, and then list those units. Since unit 11 is not listed, it is an OTC unit.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:36 AM

Default RE: ? on Colorado GMU's for archery elk v.s. 2005 harvest stats

Txhunter,

Thank you, that does clear it up, I appreciate it. I'm already starting to lose sleep thinking about getting out there hunting and it is still a long way off! I'm heading out ice fishing this morning and am not supposed to be up for another hour but I couldn't sleep, I had to at least do something related to this hunt. Heck I haven't even been elk hunting before and I am already addicted. Well thanks again and have a great day.

Semper Fi,

Eric