Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Looking for Archery trespass CO elk hunt

Old 03-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Spike

Default Looking for Archery trespass CO elk hunt

A relatively new Elk hunter humbly asks for your guidance and advice.

Myself and a group of 3-6 friends and family are looking to identify a trespass archery hunt for Elk in an over the counter (or very low preference point) GMU in Colorado. We have each hunted elk during either the archery or muzzloader seasons near Montrose at least once. This year we hope to hunt the late archery season.

We hope to find a ranch that can accomidate us without crowding each other as well as possibly allowing us to hunt adjacent BLM or USFS lands. Prefereably the ranch will have a cabin or good tent site which is accessable by 4X4. We are each in relatively good shape However my father is recovering from a broken foot and may be limited in his mobility when hunting season rolls around. So ideally the ranch would have some areas accessable by four-wheeler. In a perfect world the ranch would have decent fishing as well( might as well shoot for the moon right). My father spends some time near North PArk each summer so ranches in that area would be great as he could do some pre season scouting.

To be honest we are not interested in monster bulls as we are relative newcomers. I am not planning on getting in the preference point race. Just looking for the opportunity to interact and pursue one of North America's greatest game animals with a chance at a legal bull. I took a small bull two years ago and would like to "move up" But I love the taste of elk burgers to much to pass on a tasty cow!

Having hunted elk in past seasons I definetly hope to make it a yearly event where freinds and family, new and old experience the rockies anew each year. Would love to be able to go back to the same ranch year after year. If anyone has any general guidance or specific recomendations I would be greatly indebted.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:09 PM

Default RE: Looking for Archery trespass CO elk hunt

Apphunter,

Black Elk Outfitters might be up you alley. They do trespass fees and have some success. I used them once and did not bag, but we were on a new ranch during archery season that should have only been used for rifle season. There is a lot of public ground nearby to hunt as well. If you want to do it yourself with the same odds, you could hunt unit 6 which is over the counter. In the town of Gould, there is a KOA campground that you can rent a cabin. There is a lake right there with good fishing and lots of ground to chase elk. Good luck
Old 03-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Spike

Default RE: Looking for Archery trespass CO elk hunt

Elkfreak,
Thanks for the info. I am very familiar with the Gould area as my parents stay there every year for 1-2 months. Your right about the fishing its supurb in the creeks and high mountain lakes of that region. I have only hunted near montrose and would love to find a ranch in north park so dad could do some scouting in the summer. Other alternative is to hunt Routt NF but I would sort of like to ensure that I have some elbow room while hunting.

I will definetly contact the folks at Black Elk. Did anyone in your party take an elk during your hunt?

thanks again