Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Question

Old 03-17-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Elk Question

Hi, im wondering how long wyoming elk season last.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:58 PM

Default RE: Elk Question

Hard one to answer. There are something like 130 Seperate Elk areas in Wyoming. They can each have a different set of regs like opening, closing, general, limited quota, spikes excluded, cow only, closed to hunting, stuff like that. However, many of them have the same regs as another. Especially those areas in the same geographical location.
BUT! Most areas start archery on Sept 1 to Sept 30. And rifle Oct 15 - 31st. You have to check rewgs to make sure.
See if this helps link to the info: http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunti...dent/index.asp
There are rifle areas that go into December most years, but that can change. An unfortunate fact about our G&F is that they only have "TENTATIVE" regs this time of year for resident and non-resident. Kind of sucks. A guy has to make his hunting trip plans based on tentative regs!
Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:25 AM

Default RE: Elk Question

Game4lunch pretty much covered it all. There isn't anything more to know.

About planning hunting trips on tentative regs, I have a funny story. The elk season my uncles and father have hunter for the past 20+ years always opened the day after Thanksgiving, and it was a tradition of theirs to go up on opening day every year. About five years ago two of my uncles headed up the day after Thanksgiving and were suprised to see that there weren't any other hunters around. They filled their only tag without problem that day and drove out that night. When they stopped at the check station to check out the feller running the station asked about their hunt then congratulated them and sent them on their way. That night my uncle was looking at his regs when he noticed that the season actually didn't open until the next day! That explained why there weren't any other hunters in the area. So he called a local game warden we know and told him the situation. He had to go to court the next week and the judge (who happens to be my neighbor- its a small world when you live in WYO) let him off easy with a $20 fine and let him keep the elk! Then last year my uncle's climbing partner did the same thing but during deer season! Now thats funny right there.