Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

question about shooting long ranges on steep angles?

Old 03-16-2006, 07:40 PM

Default question about shooting long ranges on steep angles?

i currently have a new rifle scope which has a bullet drop compensator on it and for normal elevations if ur target is say 300 yrds u put the third line on ur target. i was wondering if i were ever to shoot at a target on a steep angle at the same distance would i use the the same 300 yrd pin or would my bullet strike high?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question about shooting long ranges on steep angles?

Given that situation,the bullet would impact high.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, it will hit high whether you are shooting uphill or downhill. How much depends on how steep the angle.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:03 PM

Actually if you shoot up hill you should aim higher and if you are shooting downhill aim lower. All has to do with gravity. Shooting uphill the bullet is going up against gravity so the bullet will slow down faster and if you are shooting downhill you are shooting with the force of gravity so the bullet has less resistence.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually if you shoot up hill you should aim higher and if you are shooting downhill aim lower. All has to do with gravity. Shooting uphill the bullet is going up against gravity so the bullet will slow down faster and if you are shooting downhill you are shooting with the force of gravity so the bullet has less resistence
Actually you are totally wrong about shooting uphill.The bullet will strike higher.Gravity is always acting on the bullet whether it is travelling uphill or downhill.The reason the bullet will strike higher in both cases is becausegravity acts on the bullet for the horizontal distance that it travels.With a steep angle the horizontal distance will be less thana straightline to the target.The rangefinder measures a straight line to the target.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

stubblejumper hit the nail on the head. Shoot for the verticle distance to the target. It is even more amplified in archery and I always shoot for the verticle distance. Much harder uphill, but I will draw a line straight above my head and judge that line to the uphill target. The more perpendicular to a horizontal line, the less the drop.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot for the verticle distance to the target
Not the vertical,the horizontal distance.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I could have worded that a little better. When I am shooting at an archery target downhill, I will pick a tree next to the target and follow the verticle line above the target until it is eye level. I will shoot the target for that distance and not the line to the target. I do just the reverse for uphill shots. It usually puts me right on the spot. It is hard to think about it and talk about it when you are so used to just doing it!! I guess that it would be a little more difficult shooting at 300 yards with a rifle across open country, but the same laws would apply. This should be about as clear as mud by now with me trying to explain it.........
Old 03-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

You understand correctly but are youusing the wrong terminology.A vertical line risesperpendicular from the groundand the horizontal line travels parallel to the ground.It is the parallel line that is used in this case.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:22 PM

Hmm well i guess you learn something new everyday.

Quick Reply: question about shooting long ranges on steep angles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.