Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Caliber Question

Old 03-13-2006, 11:45 PM

Default Elk Hunting Caliber Question

I will be Elk hunting for the first time in Idaho during the second week of October.

I have a Weatherby 257 Magnum bolt action and a 300 Win. Mag Browning semi-auto.

Does the Weatherby have what it takes to do the job? or

Should I just take the 300 and forget the bolt?

Appreciate any input you have.[8D]
Old 03-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting Caliber Question

Should I just take the 300 and forget the bolt?

Appreciate any input you have.[8D]
[/quote] You already answered your own question!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:51 AM

Big animals and big cartridges.... they are just kind of made for each other.

I wouldmake the 300WinMag in the B.A.R. my#1 choice. Use 180 gr. premium bullets (like Partitions) and never look back; figuring you handle both guns reasonably well. I know folks get sentimental about their 257 Wby's however....

Check out the "Poll: Elk Cartridge Preference" thread. It poses this question,

"What is your current favorite elk cartridge that you personally have actually used to take elk?"
One can't help but see the preference for heavier hardware by those who actually do the elk hunting AND actually harvest elk. Plus we are constantly seeingthe smallbore fanswithin our group move from the lighter duty stuff to the heavier duty stuff for elk.I think the numbers in the pollspeak louder than much of the verbage you are about to recieve. [Actions talk and BS walks.]

BTW, absolutely take your 257 along as a back up rifle (your #2). Elk hunting is rigorous and crap happens --- broken stocks, damaged scopes, etc. (ever see a horse decide to voluntarily roll on the ground with a rifle still in the scabbard? ANY time it is a big time hunting trip, alwaystake a spare rifle. Personally, I'd prefer a 30-06 as a minimum for my back up rifle for elk, but that is me.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the input. I have a 30-06 as well. Looks like I'll take both that and the 300 and not look back.

Remember: Never bring a boy to do a man's job
Old 03-14-2006, 09:49 AM

Good luck with your elk hunt.

One thing to remember, a direct hit to the vitals will stagger or drop a deer. A direct hit to the vitals (even with a 300WinMag) may or may not stagger an elk (even though he is dead on his feet)--- almost creating the illusion of a "miss". After the first shot, don't stop to admire it or despair over the "apparent lack of effect", cycle, re-acquire, and shoot as long as he is still standing.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

YES.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:13 PM

I went out to Colorado three years ago and went for the first time. I hunted 5 hours before a nice 5X6 walked in front of my Browning Medallion .300 win mag. One shot one kill. I agree larger is better when hunting big game.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

300 or 30-06 = dead elk

Take which ever of those two you shoot more accurately. If I was shooting 1 inch groups with the 06 and 3 inch with the 300, I would take the 06.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, either the 300 or 06 will do the job. Which ever one you are the most accurate and confident with, with the right cartridge. Use the other as a back up.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:39 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Depending on what kind of hunting you are doing and how much in shape physically you are you may want to consider weight. I bought a BAR in .338 and only carried it to the range, sold it and went back to the savage bolt in both .338 and 30.06, 6 bull's and many deer later I'm still happy with the savage's.

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting Caliber Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.