Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

wyoming mule deer

Old 02-28-2006, 07:01 PM

Default wyoming mule deer

my grandpa and i are planning on going on a rifle muley hunt ing wyoming this fall. it will be nonguided. we want to go to general region A or C. we hunted C last year and I saw a 27" buck opening day on blm land but it was too far. we hunted near the powder river on a wia and blm land. I was wondering what would be a better area as far as seeing deer on public land. my grandpa wants to hunt the bighorn mountains in region C and i would like to try the black hills nat forest in region A. what are the pros and cons of these areas as far as animals, hunting pressure, etc? thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 09:36 PM

Default RE: wyoming mule deer

I hunted WT in the Bearlodge and over on Sand Creek Mid Nov. this year and we did see some mule deer, I never saw any big racks butI was targeting WT. Try calling the local bio. Call Game and Fish they will give you His #
Old 02-28-2006, 10:08 PM

i have hunted both areas, and well if you saw 27 bucks in the first few days in region c thats where i would be! i know there is a few nice bucks in region a but they are not behind every tree! good luck to ya!
Old 03-01-2006, 04:43 AM

manboy, i saw a 27 inchbuck, not 27 bucks. i saw 4 deer total. the one nice buck, a doe and 2 small bucks.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:55 PM

My opinion is there are BIG bucks in all areas. They get big becuase they get smart. I doubt A or C holds more than the other except that C is so much bigger.
I would advise to hunt the Region with the most public access land.
BLM, state sections, Nat'l Forrest. AND, are you aware of the "Walk-In Areas" the G&F provide? These are private lands that the G&F have contracted with the land owner to allow public hunting. There are also areas called "Hunter Management Areas". These are also in the "Public Access" link on their web site. And research the "Wyoming Game & Fish Facilities and Access Areas Information". There is a clickable map.
If area A, which is smaller than C, has more public access land than C, I think I would go there. Confident in knowing that big deer (20" +) can be found everywhere.