Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How big do I want????

Old 02-27-2006, 03:49 PM

Default How big do I want????

How big is a 2 1/2 year old bison? I am looking for a really, really large bison, (like the kind you put on the wall that make people say holy #@$!!!!) lol. Whatage of bison doI want here? I have found a couple hunts that offer from 2 1/2 year olds to 5 1/2 and older. Is a 2 1/2 year old small?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How big do I want????

buckstalker, although I have never hunted bison, I'm sure a 2 1/2 year old will seem very large. I did a google search and found that male bison don't become sexually mature until about 6 years old when they are big enough to challenge other mature bulls. So if you're looking for a "really, really large" bison you may want to lean more toward the 5 year range.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:12 PM

thank you very much hunter 59.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:44 PM

a 2 1/2 old bull is just as they say "eatin size". if you want a trophy go up to a 5 year old or better. you can see the differance. a 2 1/2 year is about 1000 lbs. a mature bull at 5 or 6 years old will push 2000 lbs. and the shoulder will be 4ft belly to top of back. as a meat cutter i have seen a few buffalo.
have you decided on a place to hunt these? you might try cheyenne buffalo ranch. located in wyoming. cluade smith is the owner. he has brought in 4 to me to cut in the last 3 weeks. he says he just isn't getting many sold right now. thay are some good eating also!