Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Holstein Hunts?

Old 03-13-2006, 05:52 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Default RE: Holstein Hunts?

I'm one of those rich guy's that can afford to hunt anywhere I choose, that being said I "CHOOSE" to hunt public land against the odd's because I love the preparation and pursuit and I love wild game meat(we almost live on venison) my son said the other day that he could see the bottom of the freezer so I'd better go kill something.I fully understand about the farmer killing his own animal's ,did lot's of that myself on the farm but it's not the same as having someone pay to let them kill something. It's cold and primal and I have to wonder about the mental motivation that inspire's someone to want to just kill ,not hunt or harvest, just the enjoyment of taking a life without fear of retribution. Maybe I'm getting way to mental about this but it sadden's me to see us as a society lower ourselve's to that level. As far as trophy hunting goe's to each his own, I usually hunt alone because I don't want to get involved in the dog and pony show that usually attache's itself to hunting partie's. When I hunt alone I'm forced to focus on what I'm doing and without distraction's I am very successful. sorry for getting off track, Bill
Old 03-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MA Jay

Tangozulu-

I agree with you, somehow I know I can not win this fight either.

On the Bowhunting forum, this guy "mexhuntr" created a postcalled "Great HuntingTripPics". In the post he shows off his large whitetail deer rack he found 2 days after he shot it, a goat and a Red Stag. All shot on a farm, ranchor high fenced operation (whatever name you want it togo by) and he recieved 100 attaboys from guys congratulating him on his "hunt". A few resented him calling it hunting, but the majority thought it actually was hunting.

I believe the mindset has already been well established and many "hunters" have lost touch with what, in myhumble and personal opinion, make ourpassionsuch awonderful pursuit. Those guysdidn't care if "mexhuntr" hunted the game... they only cared about the size of theantlers he harvested. Sad.....
I see your point MA Jay. I was one that gave mexhuntr a congratulations. That said, I was not deliberately expressing my approval for high fenced or any other type of hunt. I was just glad to see that he was out having fun and I was kind of welcoming him as a new member by just saying "nice buck". Much the same as I would do for a young 'en who had shot some "exotic" on a texas ranch and was proud about it.

I am still not sure if that specific incident is the same as a "holstein hunt" or not. There is a large gray line between totally wild (low or no fence), indigenous game and a "holstein hunt" in the collective mind of hunters as a group.That line contains all the high-fenced ranchesin the world along with baiting and crossbows andany thingelse that is the subject of much discussion around here. That's the problem. Hunting is an individual pursuit and therefore each individual must choose "how" they hunt. I personally would never hunt any game that is fenced in. Obviously some would. Texas boys are adamant that if the parcel of land is big enough it is "hunting".

I wouldn't have even said "nice buck" to mexhunter (not that I care, I just wouldn't have bothered)if there weren't already people giving him hell when all he did was post some pictures of himself and some friends having fun and a little story. One of the main antagonists of that particular post has posted several times about his African hunts (high fenced probably as well)--what right did he have to say anything negative (that controversey was also about shot placement on a deer (which is a whole nother topic)).

Anyway, the type of hunting that an individual chooses to participate in reflects the character of that individual. A guy that mounts an elk shot on a game farm probably has some flaws if he portrays it as a past "hunting" experience. However,if a guy shoots a buffalo on one of those ranches, mainly for the cheap source of meat etc, then whats the problem? Even if he chose to mount the head to decorate his fishing cabin (or restaurant)as a way ofjust adding somecharacter to the place and did not claim it was from some AZ public land, then again, I see no problem.

Hunting is more than a sport, it's a way of life or religion and with all things involving a human element, your going to have gray areas(thatmany see as black and white but with different and overlapping boundaries)
Old 03-14-2006, 07:00 AM

hillbillyhunter-

I believe you and I see this very similarly. I understand the "gray" area, and I have said that if someone wants to pay to harvest an animal from a farm, whether that is a meat buffalo,blackbuck or even an alligator, they should have the right to buy one if someone is willing to sell them. It is definitely not for me, as I wouldn't feel right buying the animal just for the sake of killing it, but some people seem to enjoy that part. I know it is probably futile, but calling that "hunting" hits me at the core. When I buy a "Hunting License" from my state for the opportunity to attempt to harvest a wild animal, so much of the "hunt" is not related to the killing part. I do kill and eat game, every year, but the "hunt" is the pursuit of the wild animal. Calling the passing of money between people "hunting" soils what we all do each fall. Instead of scouting, or applying for a draw, or checking maps, or hanging stands, or sighting in rifles, or practicing archery ... all of it, a person can skip the "hunting" part and buy the killing and mounting part only.

To each there own, all I ask is that they respect "hunting" enough to not use our passion for the "pursuit of wild game" as a justification for shooting farm or pen raised animals. They are completely different. Maybe it is only to me, but I don't think so. I see others, on a site like this that struggle with this. They are torn with seperating killing animals ina pen (however large) and actual hunting. I just hope for "hunting's" sake that a few more people can seperate the 2.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

First consider that buffalo are range grazers and cant be that hard to hunt. Not hard ot find or see. May be hard to kill though.

I don't know if I would pay to hunt, even if I could afford it. There's something great about hunting open publick land ( that I paid for thru my taxes) and theLACKof chances of success that is just totally challenging. ( Not that canned hunts are not challenging, maybe some are.)

Whatangers me up most on the televised hunts is the hunter with his rifle and bipod or shooting sticks ( no one holds their own 11# gun anymore ) and the guide behind him saying " Ok I see a game animal,ok now load your gun, ok now take thew safety off, ok now shoot when I tell you, ok now sit down for the fotos, ok now I'llgut this animal and skin itfor you while you have a bologna sandwich" " OK, NEXT HUNTER "

I don't know if the OLN and The OC and the shows producers know this is the message that "I" draw from many of the shows they pay to support and televise, but it is.

Personally I would rather go without. I'd rather have no success than have someone hold my hand.