Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado 1st Timer - Help!

Old 02-27-2006, 10:26 AM

Default Colorado 1st Timer - Help!

I will be making my first trip out west this year for an elk/bear hunt in Colorado Unit 62 Uncompagre National Forest. Has anyone hunted here before? Any tips/suggestions for thisarea imparticular or just tips on hunting out west for a first timer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Colorado 1st Timer - Help!

mshunter22, I'm not sure where you're from but if you are a flatlander like myself, spend the entire summer jogging and getting in the best shape of your life! The Rockieswill test the stamina of the most fit hunters. If you want to enjoy the hunt, get in shape.

I've included a link to the Colorado Division of Wildlife in case you don't have it. This link will takeyou directly to theGame Management Unit Maps. Spend some time"scouting" from home and it may pay off when you head out west. Good Luck!

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/GMUnitMaps.htm
Old 02-28-2006, 05:28 PM

mshunter22,

I am planning on heading out to CO myself to elk hunt this Fall with bow and arrow. Are you rifle or bow hunting? When are you going and are you using an outfitter/guide or hunting public land? I have a couple of buddies who are going to be going with me and we are trying to decide on where to go. Initial plans are for NW CO, but I am just now getting into the research. Also, are you hunting with over the counter tags or are you putting in for a draw?

Old 02-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do lots of scouting and find the nastiest, deepest, steepest area to go into. Unit 62 is the most heavily hunted unit in Colorado. See this link:
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonl...BD5A/0/Elk.pdf
There were over 6600 elk hunters in 2004 (last harvest statistics)
Old 03-04-2006, 01:22 PM

Eric, I will be taking my rifle but would rather have the bow. I am going with my dad and he doesnt bowhunt so that eliminates that option. We are putting in for tags for 1st rifle season, but it we dont draw we will go OTC for 2nd rifle season. We are hunting in the Natnl Forest/BLM land. All of the research required to figure this process out is enough to make your head spin. Have you been out before?
Old 03-19-2006, 05:41 PM

mshunter-

Sorry for the delay, been busy with work and gone a lot recertifying my dog. Anyway, I've never been hunting out west before so it is all going to be new to me. I've read about it all my life and watched plenty of videos, have some good friends from the Marines who are from WY and have racked their brains for knowledge. Hopefully it will work out. After doing our research and finding a spot, we are going to pack in and see how it goes. Hopefully we will see an elk or two.

It should be an easy hunt, you see them on TV and they are as dumb as cattle...LOL, like I really believe that.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:23 PM

MS hunter,

I am a local and hunt in the North West part of the state. If I could give you any advice about hunting elk here in CO, it would be to make sure you know how to cow call. Get up high in the mornings chirp and listen. Make sure you have the wind right. Always. The elk are usually heading up to bed in the mornings. They will be coming down to water at night. Watch the thermals, they will blow your hunt. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

OK, glad to see this post. I was recently invited to join some of my family on a Sept. Muzzleloader hunt in CO Area's 71 & 74.

I'm an east coast hunter, hunting in both WV and MD. And I have no idea what to expect on this hunt. I was told expect a 4 mile hike in every morning, but thats about all I know.

Any pointers from blackpowder shooters. I plan on using a 50 cal Rem ML700 but I'm not sure how heavy to load for Elk. Most likely I will only get a cow tag this year, but I'm trying for a Mullie Tag as well.

If I get no responses, I'll start a new post. But thought I'd try to ride this one first.

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Spike

95Harley,
As far as the load, shoot what ever your gun likes but remember that colorado allows only loose powder (no pellets), no scopes and no sabots. Get in great shape and then start working out harder. Remember if you hike 4 miles in and kill something you have about 3 pack trips out. That's 24 miles if you're successful on the first morning... I hope you have friends and maybe some pack stock.
MSHunter,
Unit 62 gets a ton of pressure. Its not as high as lots of units but the canyons seem to make up for it.
You guys have a great time and enjoy the time in the woods...
Will
Old 04-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

95Harley,

Check out the Black Powder forum. There are some very knowledgable people there that have helped me figure out an elk load. I'm a local, but this fall will be my first ML hunt. I'm using 410gr Great Plains conicals with 100gr 777 powder out of a .50 Omega. So far that load is working good at the range.

mshunter22,

Good luck on your hunt. CO hunting is very different from flatland hunting. I grew up in MO and still hunt whitetail there every fall. Hunting Elk is much different. Get in shape and bring plenty of water. Learn how to use a mouth call (check out the videos by ElkNut). The most important advice I can give is be flexible. You can scout all you want, but if the elk are not in your vicinity, be ready to move to where they are.

Quick Reply: Colorado 1st Timer - Help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.