Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Archery Yukon Moose Float Hunt

Old 02-26-2006, 08:37 PM

Default Archery Yukon Moose Float Hunt

I am planning to do a alaskan yukon/canadian yukon moose hunt in 2007. There will be 2 of us going, both archery. I am looking for recommendations on either guided or unguided moose outfitters.

It seems most guided hunts are 8K and up, but we can do a float plane/river float hunt on our own unguided/semi-guided for a lot less, maybe 1500-3500.

Please let me know if you have any reccomendations on locations, outtfitters, bush/float plane rentals, guided vs. unguided, etc...

Thanks fellow archers!

Moose pics would be great too![/align]
Old 02-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Archery Yukon Moose Float Hunt

Check out Larry Bartlett's hunt planning services. For a very modest fee Larry will get you the most current information available for the type of hunt you want to do...guided, unguided, drop camp, float He'll even go so far as to book bushflights, provide you with maps, and get you into river corridors that aren't over run with people. The cost of his service is pretty cheap when you look at the overall costs and logistics nightmare that a hunt of that magnitude can be. It wouldn't hurt to check out his message board either, because there's a wealth of knowledge available there...and a lot of moose pictures too.

http://www.pristineventures.com/huntplanner.html

As far as your estimate of $1500-3500 you'd best plan for the top end of that estimate. Just airfare from the lower 48 and your tags will cost you the better part of $1500. Throw in raft rentals, bush flights (which are skyrocketing in price because of fuel costs),hotel stays, freight charges to get meat and trophies home, essential gear purchases, etc., etc. you can burn up $3500 really fast. Not trying to kill your dream, just trying to give you a perspective of what all you'll have tofoot the billfor.

Best of luck,

AK Jeff
Old 02-27-2006, 03:49 PM

That looks like valuable site, howwever $ 800 seems step for what they provide. Most of this is easy legwork on the internet or will be provided by the bush pilot or outfitter for free.
Thanks for the suggestions though!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Just remember that the "easy legwork on the internet"more often than notleads you to dated information that doesn't necessarilly reflect the current conditions here. It may seem useful, but information about Alaska that's five years old can very well not be worth the paper that it's on. Call local biologists and find out current moose population trends directly from the source. Do the same for land status information. Native claims to particular areas,and frequent government land swaps might mean that a two year old map might be garbage and you could end up in a big swath of Doyon land that pale-faces are no longer allowed to hunt.

$800 might seem steep, but at $400 ahead it's really quite cheap for up to date info from somebody with first hand knowledge of the areas. Air transporters can't legally tell you where game animals are at in an area, and an outfitter sure as hell won't tell you for free. Pilots can tell you some previous info and where other hunters may be, but they legally can't say a whole lot. Imight sound like a Bartlett salesman, but it's just because I've been nothing but pleased with the goods and services I've received from Larry. At the very least get yourself a copy of his second edition float hunting book. It'll easily pay for itself 10 fold in the ways it lays out to save money with freight, flights, gear, etc. He also has a new DVD out about float hunting for moose. It provides a ton of information and has some good comic relief to boot.

http://www.pristineventures.com/products_publications.html

If you decide to book bush flights or an outfitted hunt yourself be sure to get plenty of first hand references. There's a lot of guys here that don't give a rat's arse if you have a successful hunt because Alaska sells itself. If you never come back is of little concern to them because there's always adozen more guys from the lower 48 lined up, money in hand, ready for the last frontier. I'm really not trying to put the damper on your plans or squash your dreams;just be prepared for the good, and be really prepared for the bad. If you have any specific questions just shout.

Good huntin'

AK Jeff
Old 02-27-2006, 06:00 PM

Hey Jeff,

You know I just bought his book and DVD. I did not know that it was Larry's site. That definitely helps out a lot. I might decide to give him a try if I like his books and DVD. He seems likethe guy who knowsAlaska!

Have you gone on one of his recommended hunts? Did you do a moose hunt? Please give me some of your hunting stories about Alaska!

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 02-27-2006, 06:28 PM

Larry is a top notch guy. He is honest, and will usually answer a question or two. I think his hunt planning is about $650, and he will set up your air taxi, get you your raft, your gear etc.

I am not plugging his services, and I don't know the guy other than asking him a few question at the Sportman's Expo and emailing him a question or two.

I do know one thing, two guys, two moose, raft, etc for $1500 is NOT going to happen. I figure on at least $2000 per person, and probably more because you will renting rafts.

Old 02-27-2006, 06:33 PM

I don't figure we will get a quality hunt for 1500 either, that is just the range that I have seen advertised. We are not planning on taking a chance by saving a grand or two. We are willing to pay 3500 for outfitted/unguided for good quiality.

Might give him a hollar later this week to chat.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:00 PM

I don't want to fill this board up with a bunch of my drivel, but I think you are grossly underestimating the cost of a hunt. There are costs involved that you have not even thought about. If you want, give me a PM, and I can give you an idea of some of the other costs you will have that I bet you are not planning on.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Jacob,

I haven't used Larry's hunt planner, but Iknow people that have and I've heard nothing but great reviews. I've bought a lot of gear through Larry (including a SOAR Levitator) and I'm always bouncing questions off of him. Like Magnum said, he's honest and he really is a top notch guy.

Kent Rotchy (owner of Rocking R Designs - Oar Saddle) did an archery huntsimilar to what you're planning through Larry last year and he had great success. You should contact him if you want a first hand account. Here's his website: http://www.oarsaddle.com/

Larry (and most other folks for that matter) will give you all the answers you need for free, but you just need to ask the right questions. He sure won't tell you where to go for free, but he'll tell you if an area you've researched is worth a crap and what to expect.

Don't be fooled by a $3500 price tag.Price doesn't necesarilly equal quality. Get testimonials before you plunk down the pesos.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:18 PM

Amen!

I know price does not mean anything. I plan to do a lot of references and checks. It is poeple like you who really help out. Thanks again for your info and suggestions. I will check out the guy who planned through Larry last year.

Take care,

jacob

Quick Reply: Archery Yukon Moose Float Hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.