Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Is a 7mm magnum suitable for elk

Old 02-25-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Is a 7mm magnum suitable for elk

Hi , i just bought a 7mm express magnum, i already had several firearms, but i feel in love with this cartridge after shooting my buddies, im graduating from high school this may, and my dads gonna pay for a hunting trip for me , and i wanna go to wyoming and elk hunt i got my rife dead own at 300yards is this an effective killing cartridge own an elk, i seen where an man shoot a elk 470yards away in the neck and rolled it, im just wondering if this would be good cartridged and also wondering about bullet types, right know im shooting nosler partiton premium 150gr , what would you experts suggest, i hunt with factory ammo but soon im have money and gonna start reloading. thanks for yall help!
Old 02-25-2006, 11:54 PM

Default RE: Is a 7mm magnum suitable for elk

Surely you aren't graduating with such "gramatically superior" abilities???

I've heard of a 7mm Express but that was a former name for the 280 Rem. I will assume if this post isn'ta troll, that you then mean the 7mm REMINGTON Magnum???

If I am so correctly astute of your fine interrogative technique, then yes the 7Rem IS a decent elk rifle. I however would NOT recommend trying 470yd neckshots with it. That is a looooooooong way with ANY caliber to kill something as large as an elk. If you MUST shoot them over a 1/4 mile away with a 7Rem then try holding well over the front shoulder and going for the boiler room. While your doing that you might wanna pray for NO wind (in which case it would be a FIRST EVER IN HISTORY in Wyoming!!!).

Sorry, just couldn't resist!
RA

ps
BTW you aren't going too WY with "Turkeyreaper" are you???
Old 02-26-2006, 01:38 AM

The 7mm Rem Mag is an excellent round for elk. It shoots flat and hits pretty hard. I have harvested several elk using it here in Wyoming in locations ranging from the open desert to the heavy timber. I put an elk down from about 325 yards away in the desert (with a little wind of course) no problem so it is definately effective to use for farther shots as well. Don't listen to all the guys who will post after me telling you that the 7mm is okay but a 300 mag or 338 would be a lot better. The fact of the matter is the 7mm is a lot more gun than most locals who kill elk every year use.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is a great elk caliber. I have used the 160 and 175 grain nosler partitions. 175 gris better if you can handle the recoil and it shoots accurately. However, if I was shooting 1 inch groups at 100 yardswith the 160's and 3 inches with the 175", I would go with the 160's.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:22 AM

Deer hunter, the 270 win. has been suitable for hunter to take deer in the past, so your 7mm is plenty suitable. The bullet diameter is larger, its very flat shooting, plus it can be very powerfull. Loaded with the right bullets you can easily take an elk at good ranges and do it effectively.

GOOD LUCK, I HOPE THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO TEST YOUR 7MM SUCCESSFULLY ON SOME WILD GAME.........TELL US HOW IT GOES.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 7mmremmag makes a great moose and elk cartridge.Premium bullets like the tsx,partition or failsafe in weights from 140gr on up,do an excellent job.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:14 PM

I agree the 7mm is a good round for moose and elk and caribou. I would go with the failsafe myself.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like red touches on your post is a little confusing to which cartridge you will actually be using. However I'll assume with your description of "7mm express" and using a bullet of "Nosler Partiton Premium 150gr in factory ammo", that indeed you have a 280 rem or 7mm express vs the 7mm rem mag(with their is no such factory offering for 150gr NP's, at leastthat I am aware of).

In any regard the 150NP in 280rem will work fine on elk. I agree shooting at such distance you mentioned is not widely advised unless you are extremely proficent with your rifle and know how to adjust for differing conditions. So I would plan on keeping it in the 300 range. I also can not advocate neck or head shots on any animal, regardless of the distance the "VITAL"target area is much smaller than the Heart/Lung region so even the slightest of miscalculations can lead to an ugly situation for both hunter but more importantly animal. So I concur keep it the boiler room! If your looking for something elsefor comparisontry theWinchester Supreme line in the CT Failsafe bullet for the 280 rem.

If you are actually using a 7mm rem mag, then you have a greater choice of over the counter ammo to select from 140-175gr as already mentioned. I have had good results with 160gr for Nosler products and 140 gr Barnes TSX and CT Failsafe on elk and moose from my 7mm rem mag.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:23 PM

Two of my buddys have a 7mm remington mag and the one shots 150 high energy rounds and it dropped 2 moose and an elk this year and my other buddy uses 180 grain bullets and it has dropped many elk in the past so it is a more than ideal gun for elk.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Two of my buddys have a 7mm remington mag and the one shots 150 high energy rounds and it dropped 2 moose and an elk this year and my other buddy uses 180 grain bullets and it has dropped many elk in the past so it is a more than ideal gun for elk.
What 180gr bullets is he usingin the 7mmremmag?

Quick Reply: Is a 7mm magnum suitable for elk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.