Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Stolen deer!!!

Old 12-18-2002, 12:47 PM

Default RE: Stolen deer!!!

its just my 2 cents but i have twin clock 21's i take going hunting and i use my ruger super black hawk to get the meat but i would of never let 9-20 guystake a deer from me. i live in the south and this is how we do it down here

good hunting every one
Old 12-18-2002, 11:17 PM

glock not clock
Old 12-19-2002, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
its just my 2 cents but i have twin glock 21's i take going hunting and i use my ruger super black hawk to get the meat but i would of never let 9-20 guystake a deer from me. i live in the south and this is how we do it down here
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Thats what I like about you Southern boys, never back down. You guys probably have a shorter life expentancy but I don't care. If you're ever in Utah you can hunt in my party anytime
Old 12-19-2002, 04:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-17-2003, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the info on Spike Bull Elk. I've never had a run in with any hunter other than watching a few bird hunters argue over a pheasant. One time I was with a guy for the first time and his dog took a bird out of another hunters vest. That was pretty embarrassing. I didn't want to even get in the truck with him at the end of the day to go home for fear the other hunter may decide he wanted more than an apology down the road. When I got home I gave my Brittany a good neck rub. She's trained by me and roams a little far from time to time but has never approached another hunter other than to give them a bird they'd asked if I could have her try to locate (no dog). Most of the time where I hunt deer it's too warm to hang deer in camp for more than overnight. If someone gets one he's usually on his way home ASAP. Is the situation you had common? Years ago I was a junior hunter safety instructor and we used to get reports from the state on accidents and gun related info to pass along to the students. I never heard of an armed holdup of a deer. Has any progress been made on locating those guys?
Old 01-17-2003, 12:04 PM

Many moons ago I was hunting alone on a mountaintop here in PA. I found a large, semi-open clearing in a large tract of laural at the top of a hollow with tons of deer sign. I parked at the down wind side of the clearing, and only had to sit for about an hour before I heard shooting about 100 yds to My left. Shortly, I caught movement coming through the laural, and this wonderful, heavy antlered THREE point buck trots into the clearing and stops. I'd never seen a rack like his either before or since. A very long and curving spike that ended out by his nose, and a very large fork on the other side. I slowly brought the rifle up and centered the crosshairs where the neck meets the shoulder, and squeezed. The buck dropped like a rock and never moved. I was shaking like a leaf, and started over to the stone dead buck, but I caught movement in the laural again, and this BIG, bearded bruiser of a man came running into the clearing shouting &quot;don't you go near that buck!&quot; He was actually cradling His rifle in His arm, with the barrel facing right in My direction. I said that I had killed that buck right where He laid, but this bozo insisted that He trailed the buck to that spot, and that the deer was His. Well, I was still moving toward the buck while We argued, and He still had the rifle leveled in My direction, but I was waiting for Him to lower His guard and I was going to jump Him 'cause I was VERY angry about looking down the barrel of that rifle. Suddenly He yells out another fellas name, and two more bruisers come jogging into the clearing. Now I'm really mad, cause I'm starting to realize that My chances of getting this buck off of the mountain with My tag on it are getting slimmer. All four of Us are, at this point, yelling obscenities, and even doing a little shoving, and out of nowhere comes yet ANOTHER bruiser! I knew I was out of luck with the three to one odds, and when the fourth guy showed, I just gave in. But I did get the last word in. I told them that I never forget a face, and that it's a small world. The gun-pointer laughed, but the other three were pretty somber. To this day if I ever see one of these four in the real world, I shudder to think what I would do. There isn't a deer anywhere in the world worth stealing, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:12 PM

What a crappy deal! Here's my take - there's maybe a couple things to notice in all this. When hunting public land, and a box-o-fools with deer rifles set up (knowing I am only 250 yds away) and commence to making a ruckus - seems like it's already time to move. I mean - who wants some disrespectful jackass with a deer rifle only 250 yds away? Sure it sucks, but I'm there to have a good time, not to stake a claim on public land or wonder if he passed a hunter's education class, or what he's drinking/smoking, or what direction his bullets are flying, etc. Next, if a deer falls after being shot -at- by 2 different hunters, what you got on your hands is an investigation, nothing else. That other hunter (no matter how wrong he may actually be) likely believes just as strongly that his bullet hit that deer (even if he is a jackass). We've all seen deer run clean after getting hit. I've personally had to do some serious tracking on a deer that &quot;should&quot; have dropped where he stood. I was just lucky to be on private land so nobody else took a poke at him while he was running. So if the other guy is willing to talk it over... you're lucky. If he's not willing to talk it over then I say drop it, because no matter how correct you/I think we are, there's a small (ok - maybe dammed small) chance the other guy is partly right (and that's always the hard part to see). So in your case, both of those sideroads passed by and the situation escalated. Now you and your buddy (who is a LEO) are toe-to-toe with a pile of armed guys, and a couple are maybe real problems. The way I see it, your buddy got you out with no holes in you - which may have been one of the things on his mind as a LEO. So what about the &quot;menacing&quot; with a firearm? That sure would get my temper up, but it's a grey area, depending on the laws of your state. If that guy had any actual (legal) claim to the (now non-public) deer, he may also have a legal empowerment to protect his property with a firearm. Ain't that a crappy turn around! So depending on your state's laws... to prove &quot;menacing&quot; you may have had to prove he never clipped the deer. If he did actually hit it, and you used a firearm to try to enforce your claim to the deer... maybe you would have been the one prosecuted for attempted theft. The fact they had contacted a Ranger before you left the area suggests (to me) they felt pretty strongly they were right - even if they were dead wrong. Anyway, they dammed sure handled their side badly, and I'm glad you two got out of it OK and wrote the forum about it so we could all think about what we would/should/will do in a similar spot.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:21 PM

Why couldn't you just go to another area when you got to your stand and found other people there. I've had this to happen and if they are there first, then I just go somewhere else or vice versa. Sometimes I get deer, sometimes I don't. But I don't have to worry about problems like this.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Is the situation you had common? I never heard of an armed holdup of a deer. Has any progress been made on locating those guys?
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I've heard of it before but this is the first and only time this has happened to me and hopefully the last. I think they've got the guys pinned down but the thing that really pisses me off is since my friend gave up the deer the law here actually says we owned the deer because we got to it first but &quot;gave&quot; it to the other party. In other words its our word against thiers and we have no evidence. But of course my friend admitted saying &quot;you can have it&quot;. Of course he said that to avoid a bad situation but in the eyes of the law he did say it and &quot;gave&quot; it up. The threat towards us wasn't a direct or specific threat so its extremely hard to make that stick.

I didn't leave the spot when the other party showed up because we were there first and I refuse to be pushed around. I am always willing to talk things out and come to a solution but I will not be pushed from my area just because someone else wants it. These guys hate to deal with a hassle as much as you and me and if everytime they did crap like this people would stand up to them they wouldn't do it very much. Why do you think these kind of people pick people that appear weak or non-threatening?

These guys probably did think they hit that deer but they didn't, and they weren't willing to talk about it. They claimed they hit it ONCE and it dropped in its tracks. That was thier whole story. It had two bullet holes and I watched with my own two eyes as it dropped when my friend nailed it. And if you read all the details you know he shot twice and long after they quit shooting. I asked them why it had two holes in it and they simply said &quot;its our deer.&quot; No discussion from thier part because I think at that point they knew they were wrong but had convinced themselves otherwise.

We have told our story to the law and they are on our side but they really can't do much. There comes a point where you have to be a sportsman and where you have to stand up for yourself. However I back up my freind even though I don't agree 100% with his decision.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not sure if I posted this earlier or not but one detail is as I said before they claimed to have shot the deer ONCE and it dropped dead in its tracks. The reason why they took 20-30 minutes to come up to us is that they were looking in a completely different area from us and they finally decided to come up and &quot;see what we were doing&quot;. On two seperate occasions I have shot an animal and was sure that it dropped on the spot only to walk over to the spot to find tracks where an animal had tore outta there. My point is they probably did think they hit like they said they did but they weren't willing to discuss why it had 2 holes in it and why it wasn't dead &quot;in its tracks&quot;. Thats the proof that we killed it and had legal claim.

Quick Reply: Stolen deer!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.