Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Pack-in questions....

Old 02-16-2006, 09:04 PM

Default Pack-in questions....

Looking for a little experienced advice! I will be going on a unguided drop camp elk hunt during the first rifle season in NW Colorado. Other than the obvious things what are some items that a first time elk hunter should bring on this type of hunt?

I just received the packet from my outfitter and it says there will be a fifty pound pack limit per hunter. Seems kinda light so I dont want to take anything that wont be necessary.

P.S.
Any advice that will help my chances of success are also welcome! I am from the Southeast and have hunted everything there is to hunt in this part of the country with pretty good success (deer, turkey, hogs, etc.)but I realize that the terrain and the animals are completely differentout West. I dont know if it is healthy to be this excited about something that wont be here 'til October!!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:29 PM

Default RE: Pack-in questions....

This is my standard fly-in or pack in gear list. As written, it is about 70 lbs. I tweek some stuff for hiking in to get down to 50 or even 40 lbs. The trick is to make sure you do not "double up" gear with anyone. One of everything, two of NOTHING!

Also, does the 50 lbs include your food? If not, you may consider getting an extra horse for some more gear. I am flying in on a SuperCub this year for moose, my gear limit is 50 lbs including food. I am chartering an extra load because I plan on staying out for two weeks.

4-season tent

Sleeping Bag

Sleeping Pad

Dual fuel stove

Dual fuel lantern

Spare Mantels

Aluminum cot

floor protector

Folding Shovel

Axe

1 mess kit per person

1 cook set

100 ft parachut cord

dish soap and scrubs

1rolls paper towels

1 rolls toilet paper

1 box strike anywhere matches

5butane lighters

5-gallon water jugs (collapsable)

water purifier

Hunting Gear

Rifle

Ammunition - 40 rounds

Scope Cover

Diamond Hone

wyoming saw

buck knife -2

headlamp

Garmin gps

Compass

Camera

Film - 5 rolls

two-way radios

2 water bottle

external pack frame

tyvex suits

2 tarps

game bags

binoculars

spotting scope and tripod

Clothing

one pair waterproof gloves (light)

one pair waterproof gloves (heavy)

one pair wool gloves

one stocking cap

one waterproof cap

3wool socks

3undersock

2sets thermal underwear

Rain coat

Rain pants

Parka

Wool sweater

wool shirt

wool pants

one set clean clothing left in hanagar

hiking boots

hip boots

The best thing you can do to prepare is to prepare. Get in the best shape of your life. Lose weight, run, lift weights and be mentally prepared to be cold, wet, hungry, tired, up early, to bed late, and sleeping on the ground. If you are physically and mentally ready, you will hunt long and hard, and I bet you get your elk
Old 02-17-2006, 08:55 AM

AM pretty much covered it. Though I have my doubts as to getting his list in under 50 lbs. Only thing I would add would be a box of wet wipes, or tucks pads. The bush is no place to be galled raw, or have inflamed hemroids.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he going on a normal drop camp, a lot of the camping items (tent, cook stove, etc) should be provided, so that should cut the load.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

What is supplied for you and how long is your hunt? 50lbs is too light if you are to be supplying your own tent, stove, axe, food...ect. Also, are they retreiving your game or do you have to get it to camp yourself? As far as clothing be ready for extreme weather and leave anything cotton home. Schnee's with air bobs are the best boots I and several other guides I know have used for wet and cold. Generally Outfitters will supply you with a list of what you should pack if they are reputable. flyingbranch.com used to have a suggested list of what they required hunters to have for 10 day hunts that seemed to cover the bases well on their web site. ..........update, I just checked the Flying B site and go to elk hunts and print the printable brochure.......the man who put that list together is about as good as it gets!
Old 02-18-2006, 02:01 PM

Sorry it took so long to reply. The outfitter (Sable Mt. Outfitter) is providing the tent, stove, axe, etc. The list of required items is personal gear such as clothes, rifle & ammo, and food. If we are lucky enough to fill a tag we are responsible for getting the meat to camp and they will pack out for us. The hunt is 5 days in the first rifle season October 14-18. Thanks for all the help to this point - great website!

While I got your attention I'll ask one more question. I have two guns to choose from. One is a Remington 700 Sendero Stainless in 7mm Rem. Mag. weighs about 8 1/2 lbs. The second is a custom Remington 700 in 300 WSM that weighs in @ 11 lbs. I am equally proficient with both guns, but don't know if the extra 2 1/2 lbs is worth the extra power of the 300 WSM. The outfitter said we will be from 9500 ft to 11500 ft.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:50 PM

In my opinion having owned each of the 2 calibres you mentioned I dont think the Elk would notice a difference in what calibre killed it. Choose a premium bullet and make sure your rifle shoots it well and save your shoulder the extra 2 1/2 pounds.It may not sound like alot of extra weight but believe me when you have a packboard on loaded with elk quarters its gonna suck hauling around an 11 pound rifle!! Been there, done that, dont like it one bit!!!

Have a safe, successfull hunt!
Old 02-18-2006, 02:58 PM

One other thing I didnt see anyone mention regarding the ride in. By the sounds of it your on horse back for a fair ride in. Most people do not ride horses often enough to become accustomed to the normal wear and tear a saddle will put your butt and legs through! You may become stiff, sore groin and possible saddle sores on your hind end...invest in a pair of Under Armour brand pants and wear them as your first layer of clothing. If you are not familiar with them they are a moisture wicking material that will allow your sweat to wick away from your body but will allow your pants etc to glide over the material and not chafe your buttocks! As for the stretching find a routine that works your glutes,groins hams and legs.Find info on strenghtening your inner core it will help with the horseback and hiking/packing on foot. I spend approx. 3-4 hours daily on horse back all year round and it is inperative that you stay in shape!!

Old 02-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Spike

I'm in a similar situation, I'm going on my first Elk Hunt this coming fall. I'm going with a friend's dad and brother though, who live in the area and have been hunting from the same camp (Near Redstone, which is a little west of Aspen) for years. We're packing in, and I was going to post asking for suggestions on gear, but the list and/or links here should help me, so Thanks from me too.

One thing I would like advice on, is ammo selection. I'm hunting with a 7 mag, and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for ammo (factory, I don't load myself).

Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2006, 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

AM pretty much covered it. Though I have my doubts as to getting his list in under 50 lbs. Only thing I would add would be a box of wet wipes, or tucks pads. The bush is no place to be galled raw, or have inflamed hemroids.
Shato,

That list is about 70 lbs. I start dropping the cot, the sleeping pad, the sweater, the radios, the hip boots, and take a much lighter tent when I have to get down to 50lbs.

The only thing is, at 50lbs of gear, it is hard to stay out much more than five days, and none of those days are comfortable.

For my moose trip this year, I am chartering an extra SuperCub load. That acutally boosts my gear alltoment up to 300 lbs of gear for two people, but that is more than I really want to carry. You still have to hump that crap from the landing strip or lake to your campsite.

I have found that 80 lbs of gear per person will keep you pretty darned comfortable on a hunt. If I have the weight and know I will be in the trees, I will bring along my 6 man Alaskan Guide Model tent. It is very roomy and sometimes it is nice to be able to stand up in your tent. I never bring that tent on a hunt in the tundra though because even though it is a fairly good tent, it is too tall if you cannot set it up in the trees and it will blow down in heavy winds.

Quick Reply: Pack-in questions....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.