Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Gun?

Old 02-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Spike

Default Elk Gun?

I was wondering what is a good elk rifle for my first elk hunt next season... I live in Colorado and will be hunting in moderate foliage. I have looked at a couple of calibers already but was looking for some help from the pros. These are the calibers that I have already looked at:

.270 Winchester
7mm Remington Magnum
.308 Winchester
.30-06 Springfield
.300 Winchester Magnum
.300 Winchester Super Mag.
.338 Winchester Magnum
.338 Winchester Super Mag.
*any model 700 sps remington is also an option

My budget is going to have to be around $250.

P.S. Even though my profile says that I'm 13, I'm 6' 2" tall and around 220 pounds... I can take the recoil!

ANY advice is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:58 PM

Default RE: Elk Gun?

What do you already have?
Old 02-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Spike

I dont have anything... I've just been looking, Do you have any suggestions?
Old 02-15-2006, 05:36 PM

any of those calibers will work fine
Old 02-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Spike

which one of these calibers will be the cheapest and the most reliable?
Old 02-15-2006, 05:58 PM

Go for the 30-06 (180 gr. Nosler Partitions) if this is your first high power long gun. If it just has to have the word "magnum" in it, then go for either the 7mmRM or 300 WMand NO I wouldn't go higher or lower than those. You may be able to find one of those at $250 used. All other things equal, I anticipate the 30-06 will be cheaper. It is a classic and is equally reliable to theothersin terms of function. In terms of reliable in taking game, it will hold its own. Get the 30-06, for your first rifle power isn't everything, versatility and friendliness is. Get the 30-06.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Spike

I'm looking into buying a mossberg bolt action .30-06... are mossberg's good rifles? My dad owns a marlin .30-30 and it has lasted for over 20 yrs. can i expect this mossberg to last me for as long as my father's?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:10 PM

I have a friend who has a Mossberg rifle that easily more than 30 years old and taken lots of game with it. While Mossbergs are not a name dropper in the rifle world they generally make sound servicable product.The onlyweakness on my friends riflewas that when the safetywas on it did NOT lock down the bolt handle and while that can be tolerated once you are aware of the problemit can be a disadvantage in the right circumstances. That problem may be gone by now.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:04 PM

mossberg isn't really on the top tier for quality. 300 is the best all around elk gun whether it be in tight or long range. does $250 cover the scope too because you might end up with some pretty poor quality gear by the end of it. Not trying to put you down, but to be realistic i would think you'd have to spend more money than that.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:34 PM

I actually own a mossberg 30.06 bolt action and there is no way in hell ill switch from that gun. It is acurate reliable not heavy and has some take down power and the kick isnt that bad. I like how the safety is right at the thumb so all you have to do is push up for the gun to be lve and the bolt on it is nice and smooth and kicks the shell good. I've shot fawns to Bull moose with the gun and all you have to do is switch the grains of your bullets and you will have one of the most versitaile guns(i think). But yah for elk i use exactally what Eagle338 uses. A 180 grain nosler partition and they work great. So i would have to suggest the 30.06

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.