Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk hunting the full moon

Old 02-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: elk hunting the full moon

Best thing you can do in my opinion, is throw all the moon charts out the window. (Oops, that's bad for the environment, just put'em in the garbage can.) If you need to, also black out the little moon charts on your calendar. Why?

First, I don't think the moon has jack to do with elk movement. Scientists have studied this to death with whitetails and found no connection between the moon and deer movement. I suspect strongly the same holds for elk. Why not worry about the shape of the stains on your underwear and how that might affect elk movement?

Second, what can you actually do about it? Hunting is 95% attitude. If you go out on a given day convinced the hunt is going to suck, for whatever reason, hey, it's probably going to suck. It's called a self-fulfilling prophesy. Why plant a hidden negative thought in the back of your head by worrying about moon phases. Just get out there and have fun and let the chips fall where they will!

Actually, I just got a great idea! It's inspired by cough suppressors, gum-o-flage, and scent suppression "technology". I probably shouldn't just give my ideas away like this when they're so obviously brilliant.

Now for the first time, we at Give Us All Your Disposable Cash Hunting Technologies offer the latest innovation in moon-suppression technology. Have only one week of vacation to hunt, and it's right in the middle of the full moon? No problem, just send us $50 and we'll solve all your problems! You'll receive three great items. 1 - Our moon-free calendar, showing EVERY day as a new moon, no full moons in sight (unless your hunting partners have a sick sense of humor, or you hunt on Brokeback Mountain, yuk yuk). 2 - Our moon blocker disc. If you see a nasty ole full moon in the sky, just hold up our 4" black disc, center it on the moon, and voila! no more full moon. 3 - I pair of cheap sunglasses (I wear my sunglasses at night) to block any pesky moon rays while you're walking to your stand. Now you can stagger around looking for the blankety-blank reflective tacks just like there was no moon at all.