Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado elk hunt question?

Old 02-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default Colorado elk hunt question?

I have been looking over the Colorado elk hunt information and I have a few questions. Are the unlimited archery areas as good of areas to hunt as the limited areas? Why are some areas "unlimited" and others "limited" by draw? The "limited" areas are also the muzzleloading areas, does that mean I can eliminate all muzzleloaders by going to an "unlimited" area? Can I buy an "unlimited" tag over the counter? I agree with some of the other posts, Colorado can sure make it difficult to understand. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Colorado elk hunt question?

There are some real good unlimited areas, BUT for the most part, limited areas will be less pressured, meaning that there are big elk in the unlimited areas, but you can expect more hunters in the area at the same time you're there!
To my knowledge, I haven't looked real close, most areas that are limited for archery are also limited for muzzleloaded, and visa-versa! Not sure about that, but I know the unlimited area I have been hunting the past three years is this way!
You can buy your tag over counter for an unlimited area, probably buy it on line as well!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Limited=draw only= less hunting pressure as a rule
unlimited= (OTC)Over the counter= anybody can go and buy a license= more hunters as a rule

For all practical purposes, limited/drawing tags gets a better "quality" hunt with less hunting pressure than the OTC areas.

As far as I know there are no areas in Colorado that have an archery season that don't have a muzzleloading season. For muzzleloading draw tags there are two categories:

1) Individual limited drawing units. You have to put in for this specific unit. This is usually in a unit that every elk tag all year(including archery) is drawing only.

2) "Statewide" muzzleloading tags. Code is: EM00001M. These tags are good in all the other units that are not including in the fully limited elk units. These would basically be good for the archery OTC units

So to spifically answer your questions:

I have been looking over the Colorado elk hunt information and I have a few questions. Are the unlimited archery areas as good of areas to hunt as the limited areas?

NO. With some VERY limited exemptions if you really know a "honey hole"

Why are some areas "unlimited" and others "limited" by draw?

Mainly to limit the amount of hunters who have a tag for that area and create a better "quality" of hunt.

The "limited" areas are also the muzzleloading areas, does that mean I can eliminate all muzzleloaders by going to an "unlimited" area?

No.

Can I buy an "unlimited" tag over the counter?

Yes.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

That's what I'm talkin' about! Great responses on a great website! Thanks alot guys!
Old 02-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Yep. Hope to see you here and you have good luck. Limited or unlimited the elk you get is what you put into the hunt.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Spike

don't shoot up to many elk... save one of those boonies for me!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:37 AM

Like others have said the harder to get a tag the better trophy quality elk you will find. There are still some great areas that are over the counter. The muzzleloading season only goes for 10days, I think starting the second Sat in Sept so all of you out there with sticks and strings have plenty ofand the better rut time to hunt. If you can get a bear tag thats the best time to be hunting bears aswell. Elk will be all over the place but mostly up higher in the thick pines, but dont give up on the aspens a little ways away from the roads. If you are lookin for a trophy go for a limited tag but if you just want any bull you can getone in most units. Jovan