Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Scope?

Old 02-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Spike

Default Elk Scope?

I'm just getting into elk hunting and I need a good hunting scope that I can use for elk or deer hunting... I'm going to need a scope that will be able to take a beating in the field and still stay aligned with the windage that I sighted it to. My price range is going to have to be less than $100.

ANY advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Elk Scope?

Seeing as you got several months to go before any elk season opens I strongly suggest you get at least $200 saved up and purchase a Burris FF-II, Bushnell 3200, Nikon buckmater, etc...
Old 02-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Watch the classified section on this & several other sites. You should be able to get a good used Leupold 4x or 6x for $150. You might be able to pick up a used VarX II 3x9 for the same money. i would buy a used Leupold before I would buy a cheap new scope. Cb
Old 02-13-2006, 09:48 AM

The best bargain I know of for a quality scope is the Weaver Grand Slam series. You can buy a 3-10x40mmfrom http://www.brunoshooters.com for about $250. The Grand Slam's "micro-trac" windage and elevation system is top notch.They are extremely reliable, accurate, and hold zero perfectly.The glass is high quality, and rivals Leupolds. You can also buy their "classic" model for quite a bit less but I don't have any personal experience with those models. I would be more inclined to take a chance on the weaver classic than any of the other scopes in the $100 range.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some good advice I have heard is spend as much money on the scope as you do on the rifle. This is interesting advice because it makes you think. What good a super accurate rifle if you can't target your prey well? The advice is directed, I think, at people who spend $1000 on a rifle and $100 on the scope. Doesn't make much sense. I think about $500 on a scope is enough and beyond that point there are diminishing rewards in performance. To be more specific, I would have my doubts that there is North American game taken with a $1500 Swarovski scope that couldn't as reliably be taken with a $500 Leupold scope during legal shooting hours. Not trying to start an argument, just provide a limit on the "spend as much on the scope as the rifle" adage.

If you are also picking up a rifle, you might think about spending less on the rifle and paying more for the scope.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

I'd also have to say if my budget was $100 I'd rather buy a used scope than buy a cheap new one. Check classifieds and even pawn shops. I know it sounds crazy but when I was younger and budgets were squeaky tight pawn shops were my main shopping spots. Although there is some risk in that I was very happy with the glass I got from pawn shops. The only draw back is they usually won't guarantee anything. But any manufacturer warantees would still be good.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing bigger than a 2.5-10x or youll be sorry, and so will your back. I use a Bushnell 2.5x with duplex ch. Wife uses a 3-9x40.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

do you have a stainless rifle if so I have a silver Nikon Buckmasters 3x9x40 I would sell you cheap also have mounts for rem700
Old 02-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nikon pro staff,Sightron SI,Bushnell Trophy, and Simmons Whitetail classic are all around 100-150 bucks.I have used the Sightron SI on a .338 win mag and a 300 Ultra mag.I have a Simmons Whitetail on a 30-06 and a 270,no problems.The bushnell trophy I have not tried and the same with the pro staff,but I have used the Nikon Buckmaster and the Bushnell Dusk-Dawn scope with good results.

If you are going to be mounting this scope on a real bruiser spend the extra bucks and get a Burris Full-Feild or Lupys V II.As for power range you can do well witha Vari-3 to 9 or 2.5 to 10.Most guys buy a Varidble scope and put on 4x and leave it alone.
BBJ
Old 02-16-2006, 07:27 PM

Honestly, it can't be done. Used is your only option. Pawn shops, eBay, etc. As mentioned above, there are a few choices in the $250 on up range. If $100.00 IS all you can spend . . . go with iron sights. And get close! (lol)
I'll presume you are new to this so let me explain features you would want should you win the lottery. A variable powered scope (3 - 9X for example) is a scope that can be adjuted from 3 power up to 9 power. 3 power would be prefferred in heavy timber where you can't see far and want a lot of your subject to be in the view of the scope. On up to 9 power where you would want to shoot at farther distances (200+ yards). And everything in between. Optics are very important to shooting. Cheap optics can be easily thrown off by not only bumping or dropping the gun, but I've seen them shoot craps just from the recoil of the rifle! What good is your scope when you have that 32 X 40 buck in your brosshairs and only to miss the shot!?
Durability, clearness of view in low light situations, and one that fits your rifle are the three features you need to have. Don't think you can do it for $100.00. Let us know what you come up with.

Quick Reply: Elk Scope?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.