Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Scope?

Old 02-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Elk Scope?

Timberghost, not to try to argue with you but.......

I have seen many times where the little rubber eye guard has fallen off of $1500 Zeiss's and Swarovski's. No big deal.

I actually found that I prefer turning the entire eye piece to adjust the power setting. Once you set the focus to your eye then tighten the little allen head screw and you never have to worry about it coming out of focus when adjusting the magnification. I have found that it is quicker in the field to just grab the eye piece and twist it rather than find that little ring behind the eye piece. Especially if you have gloves on.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have seen many times where the little rubber eye guard has fallen off of $1500 Zeiss's and Swarovski's. No big deal.

As the owner of 6 swarovski and 4 ziess scopes,I have never had that happen to any of them.However ,I have seen the rubber eye guard come loose on other scopes.The best cuts that I have ever seen resulting from a scope were made with leupold scopes wich do not have a rubber eyeguard.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:50 AM

For sure save a little money up (eat out less) and get the best scope you can aford. The mountains are ruff and the scope/rifle will end up on the ground a time or two. It would suck to run into a nice bull ($495 tag for NR in Colorado) and miss because the scope is off. Even if you can get one of the Leupold Riflemen ($179 2-7 or$199 3-9)scopes you would be doing good. I have a Nikon Monach UCC 3-9x40 on my .338 WinMag that I think is better than the VX-II 3-9x40 thats on my 270Win and the Nikon is only $289.I started off buying cheap scopes andright now at this time I have a scope in for repair and Bushnell and one atSimmons, and I just got one back from NcStar (would never buy one from them again). So I have now got to nothing but higher end scopes for any rifle I plan to hunt big game with. Good Luck. Jovan
Old 02-20-2006, 01:16 PM

Holy crap! You can take me now lord cuz I've seen it all now! Are you people actually blaming the scope for cutting your forehead. If you know how to shoot and adjust the scope to its proper position you will never get hit with the reticle.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: goose caller

thanks for the link, but those are all about 200-300 dollars out of my price range!
The weaver grandslam 3.5 -10x40 is about $265how is that 200-300 out of your range?
Old 02-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Look at the Bushnell Trophy. About a 100 bucks for a 3x9. Pretty good scope that should last you quite a few years.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shato, I don't think he was blaming the scope for cutting someones forehead but rather stating that the nastiest cuts have come from Leupolds with no rubber eye guard.

BUt you are correct in that if set up properly it shouldn't happen on most standard cartridges under normal conditions.

Here is an example of not having a proper set up.

I was cut very badly this past season. We have a sight in service for people that we do on Fridays and usually only one of us goes to sight in these rifles. However, this particualr Friday we had aproximately 50 guns to sight in so we both went. Me being 6'2" and the other guy being 6'4" I got the shorter of the two benches, which is way too low for either one of us. Couple the low bench and shooting other peoples guns that aren't set up for me and it sets up a bad scenario to get popped in the head. Needless to say I was hunched over the rifles and scopes most of the day and finally got bit shooting a 300mag and a Bushnell 3200 3-9X50, which only has half a rubber eye guard and a very sharp inside edge. Blood immediately poured down my nose and it took about a half hour for it to slow enough to go back to shooting. I now have a 3/4" long scar right in the middle of my head and I still get crap from this little incident.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Spike

*Remind me NOT to buy that scope!... lol
Old 03-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Spike

i am going to make over a grand this summer... is there any good gun/scope combinations? (remember... i still have to get all of my other gear too!)
Old 03-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Invest as much as you can afford. That being said, sometimes guys a man scrimps and saves for a few years to afford the rifle, then he has to consider the cost of the hunt, and sometimes there really isn't any left over. Really! It happens. I put a $50.00 Simmons on my .06 and it has taken a beating. Good five years out of it before any problems. Would have rather put quality glass on it from the start, but.... This year it'll get a Leupold. VX-II or VX-III, depending on how much cash I can scrape up. As stated above, if you can find a way to get the better glass, do it. If not, you can get by with cheaper glass for a season or two.

Quick Reply: Elk Scope?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.