Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Quiz for fun.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Quiz for fun.

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

Bobby, that is why I said just for fun, its nothing serious that would or would not help a fellow elk hunter out.

Fun like heck, it disturbed me so much last night I couldn't get any sleep.
I am getting better each time I take it though.

Bobby
Old 02-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

11/12 well we can have everything,I didn;t know Wapiti was a Shawnee word figured it to be Souix.
BBJ
Old 02-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Typical Buck

I got 8 out of 12. Not too shabby considering I guessed on all of them! Always wanted to go Elk hunting but never got the chance.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:14 AM

3 of 12. I suck[8D]

Its a wonder that I killed 6x6's each of the last two years.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

I got 8 out of 12, and now I want to argue with the quiz. Naturally.

On the first question,they say "Wapiti" are named after red deer, then later in the quiz, we see Wapiti is an Indian word. So what gives? Did the Indians really name the animal after a European red deer? I don't think so.

Next, on the question of elk longevity. I chose the lowest number in the range, but if it was an open question I'd have said 3 years. And I'll stand by that number. Between calf mortality and hunting pressure, I doubt if elkaverage even 4 years life span on more than 10% of their range.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Where do we contest the answers to these questions? At least one is a trick question. Average life expectancy for an elk? Depends on where we're talking I guess.....if left to nature I'd say the average would be about9 to12 years. Add in hunting...depends on the unit regs. Others have mentioned calf mortality....in areas where there are lots of predatorsthis would also lower the number. Who really knows the answer to this question over all? But I'd say in normal conditions...no hunting....average predators....an elkwould live about 10 to 12 years.

The name is a big question mark in my mind....those of you that know me well know I also speak fluent Spanish. The word for "elk" in Spanish is the same as a "moose". I was told the reason why was this...when settlers came from Europe they mistook the size of an elk and actually thought it was a moose when in fact it is a larger brother to the red deer. My understanding was the elk was mis-named and another name in English was created for a moose. That would mean if they were named correctly today wewould havecalled ourNorth Americanbig games speciesdeer, red deer (elk), and elk (moose). I didn't think they were named after red deer. Just closely related. What does the word "elk" have to do with red deer? So needless to say maybe my history lesson was incorrect and I missed question one.

I missed the population question too. I thought it was about 1 million but I missed this question. So I looked it up on RMEF's website and this is what they say:

"POPULATION
Today, elk number about 1 million in North America. This represents roughly 10 percent of the estimated population before European settlement of North America."

Fun quiz though...just thought I'd add what little knowledge I have.