Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming hunt

Old 02-02-2006, 02:09 PM

Default Wyoming hunt

I've been lucky enough to get invited to hunt on some private land near Newcastle Wy, located in northeast/ central east Wyoming. I was wondering what to expect as far as terrain and the quality of the animals in the area. Elk, antelope, and mulies? Any info would be greatly appreciated, and if you don't want to post it, a pm would be fine.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:46 PM

Default RE: Wyoming hunt

Cnances are, depending on where the property is, you won't even be in an elk area! So I wouldn't count on elk. But Newcastle is well known for it antelope. I'm sure there will be some mulies, maybe even white tails. And it's also a great area for Merriam Turkeys! You can shoot turkey in Wyoming with centerfire rifles .22 mag and bigger.
Lots of info on the Wyoming G&F site. Dates, licence fees, drawing date deadlines!
The terrain is arid sage with pine covered rimrock and gentle mountains.
Very close to some cool ****. Devil's Tower, Mount Rushmore to name two.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

i live in newcastle, who ya hunting with?

game4lunch did okay, except the elk part. the hills are loaded with em. if the ranch is on the black hills side of town, probably elk around. he was right on with the other stuff. elk tags needed to be sent in end of january, too late for that. deer and antelope are due march 15. newcastle isnt known for trophy deer, just not managed for that, but there are some nice ones around for sure. give me some more info on who or where your gonna be, and ill fill in the blanks.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:43 AM

I bow to the local expert.
I was just noticing that if the property was south of Newcastle, they wouldn't even be in an elk area. Looks like area 117 is north of town.
Also, if elk, deer, and /or antelope are on your wish list, Wyoming does have application dates from July 10 - 20th for left over licences.
I'm surprised you wouldn't have good mulies up there. Really love that corner of Wyo! Beautifull country.
How's the white tails around home?
Old 02-05-2006, 08:56 AM

too tell the truth, there is an elk area south of newcastle. it is just not on your regs.map. it is area 129 and is considered a nonherd unit, and is a general tag. a resident can buy this tag over the counter, nr still has to apply for it. the great thing about this area is it's season is sept.1-oct.31 and any weapon, rifle during the rut...wow
Old 02-05-2006, 01:22 PM

Now I'm really confused. Cause I'm looking at the tentative Nonresident regs for Wyoming full price elk and there is not even a 129 on the map or in the list.(?) Weird!
Old 02-05-2006, 08:36 PM

yes that is what i just said! all you have to do is apply for a general tag. then when you get the new HUNTING REGULATIONS (the one with the elk on it) it will show you `129. and the season. it goes from north gillette to newcastle and then south of hwy 16. it is one of the good areas left, if you know the land owners, or if you have deep pockets![:-]
Old 02-05-2006, 09:43 PM

Not to put too fine a point on this subject . . . but you're looking at last years regs. "2005, Jan. 2006."
Old 02-05-2006, 10:12 PM

yes and game and fish told me in jan. that the 129 area would be the same.
so i had friends from ohio put in for the general tag, to hunt 129. but atleast you now understand. good luck
Old 02-05-2006, 11:17 PM

Thanks for some good info. I'm from NC, and been elk hunting in Idaho the last 3 years. Looking forward to the different scenery and hopefully lots of muleys and antelope. When you travel that far to hunt, it helps to talk to some people who know the area. Huntnmuleys, I sent you a pm.