Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Gotta love Idaho

Old 01-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gotta love Idaho

This is a post from our Idaho Fish and Game Homepage.

The Idaho Department of Fish and Game has proposed asking the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for permission to reduce the wolf population by up to 43 wolves or about 75 percent in the Lolo elk management zone of the Clearwater Region. Fish and Game biologists say wolf predation is a significant contributor to the decline of elk numbers in the Lolo zone and may be preventing population recovery. The proposal is made under the revised 10(j) rule of the Endangered Species Act, which took effect in February 2005, and allows removal of wolves having an unacceptable effect on elk and deer populations.
The proposal entitled "Effects of Wolf Predation on North Central Idaho Elk Populations" is available for public review at the link below is a post from our Idaho Fish and Game homepage
Old 01-31-2006, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gotta love Idaho

Now they need to take similar action here in the McCall Zone!!! We have more than our fair share here in these parts!!-------ElkNut1
Old 01-31-2006, 01:09 PM

What a Wonderful new bag of worms to open!!!! I have to say at the outset that I do believe we, here in Idaho, have apotential view of the future that anyone can be proud of. Our F&G Department has shown that it is aware, and considers, the divergent views of all it's citizens. Many view wolves as only a "threat" to big game, others view the wolf as part and parcel of the "heritage" of wildlife. The truth is that the wolf has a legitimate place in our environment, a place "earned" through millenia of existence, but that populations cannot be allowed to threaten the, sometimes, fragile populations of prey species(including livestock). Idaho has, and, I hope, will continue to take the stance that wolves belong in Idaho, but MUST be treated as only a part of the totality of biodiversity available. If wolves and their requirements exceed available habitat/food sources, they MUST be controlled. I personally am looking forward with anticipation to the day I can apply for a "trophy" wolf permit. Tell me if my opinion is wrong, but I do believe that the only way wolves will learn to fear man is if, and when, they are treated as prized game animals, and are subject to the same game control measures that their prey are now subject to. I look forward to responses and opinions others may have. IMHO
Old 01-31-2006, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

I don't ever remember Idaho taking a stance that we wanted wolves in Idaho, nor have I met a true Idahoan who wanted them. I thought they were pretty much shoved down our throats by the Federal Government.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:47 PM

racowboy, I was referring to the common sense way our F&G responded to the opportunity to begin local/state management of wolves. When wolves were originally reintroduced to Yellowstone, it was inevitable that Idaho, Wyoming and Montana would inherit the overflow. Idaho and Montana have taken the inititative to work with the feds so they have been granted limited management. Wyoming has chosen to fight the issue, and, as a result, we are waiting on Wyoming to develop a federally qualified management plan before we can do anything about substantive wolf management. There are other points of view about wolf management in this state. If you don't believe me, just ask people in Sun Valley or Couer d'Alene.Many of them want wolves to the exclusion of any other big game. My point is that the state of Idaho has done a good job of making the best of a bad situation, and I am still looking forward to the day I can applyfor a controlled wolf permit.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

In the towns you mention, you'll find they are growing like crazy and filling up with people from out of state who have no idea what a wolf really is. I've hunted with five dogs now that wolves have tore apart and spread out over a city block. You have a dog? Best way to get your wolf is to tie it to a tree and let it start crying. I have freinds that have lost a lot of livestock and restitution is about impossible to recieve unless you have a picture of your cow with a wolf hanging off of it. You have a few grand to feed the wolves? They sure didn't. You going to eat that wolf? I prefer elk, course they are getting kinda hard to find around here now. People seeing more and more wolf sign though.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know I seen them this year in Council! I have heard them there ten years ago but never seen them.. I was a little mad when I saw them while I was elk hunting.... Well I hope the call me to help with the thinning process!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 03:32 AM
Spike

Good points given by all! For all the criticism the ID Fish & Game receives, it still stands as one of the most pro-active and sensible wildlife management agencies in the country. Let's just hope the long standing beliefs and common sense values of the Idaho hunters continue to influence the fish & game and other powers that be more than the eco-friendly views of many of the transplants in Coeur D'Alene and Hollywood misfits in Sun Valley. How much fora wolftagin unit 6? Here's my credit card number. I'll take all you got!

CFHUNTER-

Old 02-19-2006, 09:36 PM

Default RE: diabetes hunt

Is anyone went on a diabetic hunt?I'am a diabectic and also have cystic fibrosis.I would like to go hunting but would like to get some feed back on the a elk hunt,and watching your bloodsugar
Old 02-20-2006, 05:32 PM

Default RE: diabetes hunt

First of all, Diabetes hunter . . . there is a forum dedicated to the "challenged" hunter. Make sure and post your questions there too!

The Grey Wolf. Not too many other three word phrase can raise such response from hunters and PETA types both. Our governor has already submitted an 89 page pettition to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and they have responded by saying:
"According to a press release from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the service has determined with a positive 90-day finding that the state’s petition presents substantial scientific information indicating that the delisting of the gray wolf may be warranted. The service now must review the recovery status of the gray wolf to determine whether delisting is warranted. The final decision on the state’s petition to delist the gray wolf must be made no later than mid-July 2006."
They say there are 912 Wolves in Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana. And that at current reporoduction rates, will number over 1,000 in the 3 state region.
The Wyoming plan is designed toreduce the numbers, while still not allowing the wolf to be put back on the endagered list.
Still nothing decided though.