Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best hunting state?

Old 01-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best hunting state?

If you had to pick only one state to hunt in for the rest of your life which state would you be inand what would you be chasing? Why this state and which weapon would you use?
Old 01-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Best hunting state?

Wyoming because of it's low population of people and i would use my .300 wby mag it reaches out quite well
Old 01-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quite honestly, I like Nevada just fine. When I go hunting, the chances of seeing another person are very slight. I can hunt lions and varmints all year round. Upland birds have fairly liberal limits and seasons. It may take a couple of years to draw a deer tag, 4 or 5 for a cow elk, 10 for an antelope, and who knows how long for sheep and goat, but I like my chances of being able to have a mountain all to myself. Next would probably be Wyoming, then Utah after that. I put Wyoming second because the wind CONSTANTLY blows there (have lived there before), and then Utah third because it seems like the whole state is growing. I am in a nice little corner right now that doesn't have a big population, and shouldn't get TOO big in the near future.

Weapons, I would use them all. I have a couple .30-06's,a couple 8mm's, a .223, a shotgun, a .22, and a .50 caliber ML. Soon, I will be adding a .357 that will primarily go when I am lion hunting. I also would like to get a bow, but not sure if I will have the time to use it, so not sure it would be worth it for me to spend $500 on a set-up that would collect more dust than anything.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is Saskatchewan a state now? LOL

Why? Mulie's, Elk, Moose, Black Bear, Antelope, Waterfowl, Upland, Varmits....oh yeah I almost forgot not to shabby for whitetails either.

Weapon? It don't matter I have/use(Bow/ML, CF)them all. As long as I am hunting...I'm happy!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Typical Buck

British Columbia Canada

Why?
About 80 percent of it is public land.
Rifle seasons can run 10 weeks
most tags over the counter and unlimited
Hunting for Grizzly, Black Bear, Couger
Rocky Mtn and Rosy Elk
Mtn Caribou, Canada Moose, Buffalo, Mtn Goat
California and Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep
Dall and Stone Sheep
Columbia and Sitka Blacktail Deer
Mule and Whitetail Deer
plus wolves, wolverine, lynx, bobcat, coyote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:13 PM

Queensland it has the best of everything we have to offer and lot's of places to do it
Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am with the Saskatchewan....and if it's not a state I will stay right where I am...Colorado.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

Wyoming......Beutifull COWBOY COUNTRY, plus they're got some nice animals!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 12:29 PM

My first thought was: "You can't hunt if you can't get a licence". Even though I live in Cheyoming, I would not pick it first because of the difficulty of getting nonresident tags. I like the idea of Sas or BC, but what do you have to do to get into Canada with a gun?
For ease of licencing, and ability to get on a multitude of game, I'd have to vote for Colorado. (Please forgive me lord . . . for saying that).
As far as a rifle? Even though I own many guns, If I were stranded on a desert island and could use one caliber for everything larger than a Cayote, .300 Win Mag!
Old 01-20-2006, 06:06 PM

I would have to say Alberta. Why because of the variety of game such as moose,elk,bighorn,goat,bear,caribou,antelope,white tail,mulies,buffalo,coyotes,wolves,cant count how many birds you can hunt and the list just keeps going on. There is just soo much land to hunt, and there are alot of animals, big ones at that.Can use just about any weapon.Plus were pretty much a true redneck province.

Quick Reply: Best hunting state?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.